Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 question...

Question Windows 10 question...

For those of you that use Windows 10, how do you like it compared to 8 or 7? Was it hard to learn and do you wish you hadn't switched?

Wish I could help you but I haven't switched and still running XP with no regrets.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I am still on windows vista and have been notified by Google that they will stop serving Vista soon. I am terrible on the computer and will have to buy a new one as this one is about to go as it is so old. My DD has worked with just about every thing on computers and when I ask her what I was going to do she told me the 10 will be much easier to learn than the others. I sure hope she is right.

I have Windows 10 since July 2015 when it came out. I love it and have no problems with it - I can from Windows 7 on my little one.
    However, my husband, who is using Vista on an old laptop didn't like 10 on his new one.
    In any event, they will be discontinuing support for 7,8 and Vista and that isn't a good thing.
    The upgrade to 10 is free still but that will change too, I think in the summer sometime.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    got that on my monitor again today. it also said Internet fee may be required. and that they have virus protection. Still not sure I want it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I worried about moving to Win 10 as well, but at the death of my older laptop and the purchase of the new Lenovo, I was forced to accept it. So I took the new laptop to my "repair" guru and asked him to set the opening page/desk top to look as its older versions did because I was familiar with that. He did, and what a help it has been for me.

I have slowly gotten used to what "apps" are and can do (I'm still on a basic, non-smart phone so am techno challenged in that department), and have learned to use them more and more. But having this desktop help saved me the angst and frustration of having to learn it all right away in order to enjoy my email, facebook, boards, and searches.

In my opinion it would be better to make the change now rather than wait even longer before you do, and have even more difference to deal with. Good luck.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    got that on my monitor again today. it also said Internet fee may be required. and that they have virus protection. Still not sure I want it.
    I just dropped my computer off this morning for the annual tune up and to get my new virus protection installed. I asked the service tech about Windows 10 and he told me not to bother. He said it's not a "one size fits all" upgrade and you can really do a number on your computer if it doesn't work properly. Guess I'll stick with what I have.

I have Windows 10 on my notebook. I like it much better than Windows 8 and 8.1. I upgraded when it first came out. I've had no trouble with it at all.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

I haven't switched yet and won't for a while. I've learned with other "upgrades" to new versions that while the new version might work just fine, if you have older websites or programs that you use they may or may not work with the Windows. I'm planning to just wait until all the bugs are out of Windows 10 and the other programs I use have caught up with it before I upgrade. Hmmmm . . . that reminds me. I wonder if my wireless mouse will be compatible with Windows 10? I've had it for a couple years so there will probably be a 50/50 chance that it won't work. Darn!
    Patrice S

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I hate the change coming but until our realty board changes I'm staying where I'm at.

I migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last summer when it first came out. For me, its been a seemless transition with no problems at all. Although its deaign is different it is similar enough that I've had no problems finding what I'm looking for or figuring out how it works. It is faster than Window 7 and so far has been very stable plus I've not had any compatiblity problems with existing software. I would say go for it. I will say both my husband and I are pretty 'tech savy'.

I upgraded to Windows 10 when it came out, I hated 8 and figured it wouldn't be worse. It's okay. It took a while to figure out that I wanted to post my favorite sites (this one especially) to the toolbar so I could hop from one to the other without going all the back to the start page. Just today I figured out that I could type in a website direct by hovering over the page at the top that I was on. Silly I know. My absolute favorite thing, is a little box that disables my touchpad on my laptop when a mouse is detected. I always use a trackball mouse and never the touchpad. So much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jodypeabod View Post
    For those of you that use Windows 10, how do you like it compared to 8 or 7? Was it hard to learn and do you wish you hadn't switched?
    Windows 10 seems fairly easy. I upgraded from Windows 7. My older machine has Vista and support for Vista will be discontinued next year, I believe.

I do not regret moving to Windows10. At least there is one machine that is caught up with the latest version now.

Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    I have Windows 10 since July 2015 when it came out. I love it and have no problems with it - I can from Windows 7 on my little one.
    However, my husband, who is using Vista on an old laptop didn't like 10 on his new one.
    In any event, they will be discontinuing support for 7,8 and Vista and that isn't a good thing.
    The upgrade to 10 is free still but that will change too, I think in the summer sometime.
    Using Vista to access the internet will get to be a problem when the browsers drop their support for it. I have Vista also, and am getting the message from Chrome that they are dropping support. I read on the Chrome forums they are dropping Vista this April, a year ahead of when Microsoft drops support for Vista. Bummer.

I have Windows 7 and haven't upgraded my laptop yet. It will delete my Windows Media center and I use that to watch my recorded TV shows -- I also have a picture processing program that is quite old, works great but is probably not going to work on 10. I will probably buy a new laptop and get 10 on it rather than upgrade and mess myself up.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

10 is closer to 7 in visuals and navigation...don't go with 8.

I'm worried about how it will effect my printer. Seems as if upgrades don't include a switch for my printer.

Quote Originally Posted by mirish2 View Post
    I'm worried about how it will effect my printer. Seems as if upgrades don't include a switch for my printer.
    My IT man told me that my printer was not compatible with 10. I love my printer. It works soooo well. But if I could never print another picture of a quilt I want to make, I will have enough to last 3 lifetimes.
    I'm still reluctant to switch to 10.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I will tell you this, I upgraded my old laptop to windows 10. Your old computers do no do well with windows 10 they frequently crash because they do not have what it takes to run windows 10. New computers have windows 10 already on them. Be careful when trying to upgrade. I have things in my old laptop that I cant' get out. Best Buy wanted $100.00 to retrieve it for me. Ask someone that knows about computers b4 you upgrade, I am getting used to windows 10, but still a lot I don't know about it.

I went from 7 to 10 and after a little bit it seemed okay. I hate change but found 10 almost the same as 7 excluding the "apps" stuff. I didn't find any problems with my embroidery or quilting programs either so I'm happy about that. Haven't updated my laptop yet as I only use it for my quilting machine to run the webcab under the quilt to view the bobbin stitches so really don't need anything more but did make sure that the webcam program would work on both the 7 and 10 so when I do decide to upgrade I shouldn't have any issues.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm using Windows 7 right now but I don't want to wait till we have to pay $$ to get Windows 10 when we no longer have support for Windows 7. I'm thinking seriously about switching but it takes me awhile to make up my mind. I understand I'll have to switch eventually. I learned a lot from all your replies and again I thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jodypeabod View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm using Windows 7 right now but I don't want to wait till we have to pay $$ to get Windows 10 when we no longer have support for Windows 7. I'm thinking seriously about switching but it takes me awhile to make up my mind. I understand I'll have to switch eventually. I learned a lot from all your replies and again I thank you!
    I switched to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on a newer laptop. Even though the laptop is only 3 years old, it was getting slow. I had the hard drive replaced, and at the same time, the tech updated to Windows 10. No issues doing it this way. It was worth it. He put in a solid state hard drive and it is lightning fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I worried about moving to Win 10 as well, but at the death of my older laptop and the purchase of the new Lenovo, I was forced to accept it. So I took the new laptop to my "repair" guru and asked him to set the opening page/desk top to look as its older versions did because I was familiar with that. He did, and what a help it has been for me.

I have slowly gotten used to what "apps" are and can do (I'm still on a basic, non-smart phone so am techno challenged in that department), and have learned to use them more and more. But having this desktop help saved me the angst and frustration of having to learn it all right away in order to enjoy my email, facebook, boards, and searches.
    In my opinion it would be better to make the change now rather than wait even longer before you do, and have even more difference to deal with. Good luck.
    Jan in VA
    I feel what Jan says is very true. I made the change when it came out & I like it better than 8. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    Are any of you aware that when you agree to the Windows 10 agreement that most of us just click on without reading; however this happens to be a 12, 000 page document that says you have signed away your privacy rights by having Windows 10. They can access any of your personal info they want.

http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/micr...very-move.html
    I am Quilter Hear Me Roar...

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
    Are any of you aware that when you agree to the Windows 10 agreement that most of us just click on without reading; however this happens to be a 12, 000 page document that says you have signed away your privacy rights by having Windows 10. They can access any of your personal info they want.

http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/micr...very-move.html
    This is why I haven't upgraded to Windows 10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast