Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Cathedral Windows washing question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    rural SE Georgia
    Posts
    964
    I started a traditional Catherdral Windows with muslin for the backing and it is so relaxing hand sewing the windows. But, I started to think about washing it. The quilt is so much work if I am not going to like the look of the quilt after I wash it the first time I don't want to spend my time on it. I have searched the Net and here and I did find a suggestion to wash it only about once every 3 years. To any of you making or owning a traditional CW from muslin have you washed it and how well did it hold up to washings. My only alternative is to stop and make this as a table runner and wash it to see!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member Lindsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bucks co PA
    Posts
    1,277
    Did you wash your fabric before making this? I shouldn't think it would be so bad if the fabric was prewashed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    374
    Don't know the answer but it is beautiful!

    Jen:)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    rural SE Georgia
    Posts
    964
    I did, but I am still concerned!!! I'm going to finish this one and use it as a table runner, I'll see how well it washes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    Did you wash your fabric before making this? I shouldn't think it would be so bad if the fabric was prewashed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    rural SE Georgia
    Posts
    964
    Thank you Jen!! I love them, but am still concerned about what it will look like after a washing!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny Line
    Don't know the answer but it is beautiful!

    Jen:)

  6. #6
    Super Member buddy'smom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,187
    Very pretty, they do take up time, I started one but still a work in progress. I have a long way to go, but than I don't work on it as much as I use to. Not sure about the washing, sorry.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    rural SE Georgia
    Posts
    964
    Thank you, I'll post after I wash it!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy'smom
    Very pretty, they do take up time, I started one but still a work in progress. I have a long way to go, but than I don't work on it as much as I use to. Not sure about the washing, sorry.

  8. #8
    Senior Member trish b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dundee OR
    Posts
    565
    The piece you have finished is just lovely. I like to do hand projects too. It should wash just fine on gentle. Lay out flat to dry. You may put it in a mesh bag or a pillow case to wash. Also you can wash by hand in bath tub (lots of hard work) and they come out nice. Remember you may vacuum the quilt to get the loose dust off. I do think you are worrying too much. Good Luck.

  9. #9
    scb
    scb is offline
    scb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    34
    I would send it to the cleaners. That's what I did with the hand appliqued, hand quilted quilt my mother made. It came back clean and beautiful.

  10. #10
    Junior Member TeresaPendino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lumberton, TX
    Posts
    117
    Blog Entries
    23
    I have the same concern. I have done 2 4block unit sections thus far... about 28 more "units" to go. Did you end up washing the piece you were working on to see? If so, what are your thoughts? Picture of washed? Thanks so much in advance! Love your choice of fabric... gorgeous! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by laceybritt
    I started a traditional Catherdral Windows with muslin for the backing and it is so relaxing hand sewing the windows. But, I started to think about washing it. The quilt is so much work if I am not going to like the look of the quilt after I wash it the first time I don't want to spend my time on it. I have searched the Net and here and I did find a suggestion to wash it only about once every 3 years. To any of you making or owning a traditional CW from muslin have you washed it and how well did it hold up to washings. My only alternative is to stop and make this as a table runner and wash it to see!

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    4,984
    Blog Entries
    1
    Traditionaly this quilt was always made w/muslin so I'm sure it should hold up because way back when they couldn't afford to waste their time or money on something that wouldn't last. The teacher that taught me told us she has some that are lap quilts and they have all held up with the washings. I just finished a different all muslin quilt and that teacher also said musling holds up very well; especially if you've used good muslin. Tons of people use muslin for the backs of thier quilts and I don't think it would be so popular if it didn't hold up. It may wrinkle as my one did. Normally I wouldn't have cared but I was showing it so I just steamed it a little. If you are sewing it good you should have no problem with it.

  12. #12
    Junior Member TeresaPendino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lumberton, TX
    Posts
    117
    Blog Entries
    23
    @romanojg Thank you so much for the input. I hadn't thought of it in that way. Makes perfect since. I guess I was more concerned of my windows not looking right after washing, but I could always steam if that is a problem. Would love to see a picture of the other quilt you did in this fabric. :)

  13. #13
    Super Member cuppi duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    payette, idaho
    Posts
    2,248
    I have found that muslin washes just as well as most of the fabric we buy nowdays. I dye all my own fabric and use muslin and haven't had any problems and this fabric gets washed alot.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    4,984
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaPendino
    @romanojg Thank you so much for the input. I hadn't thought of it in that way. Makes perfect since. I guess I was more concerned of my windows not looking right after washing, but I could always steam if that is a problem. Would love to see a picture of the other quilt you did in this fabric. :)
    It's not done but my goal this weekend is to get a picture of what I have and then also the sketch that I did in Windows for the pattern. It's been so hectic here at work and at home. I'll try to get it this weekend for you.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    rural SE Georgia
    Posts
    964
    I hand washed what I had completed (a lttle over a runner size) and I laid it flat outside in the shade to dry. It did wrinkle more (as cotton does lol) but I gently stem pressed it and I was fairly pleased with the outcome. It is still not as 'pressed' as the original but still looks OK enough for me to finish the project. I will post a pic later in the day, gym time !!!!!!!!! :-D

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    rural SE Georgia
    Posts
    964
    Here is the 'after' hand washing and pressing: There is more of a difference than the pics show. It has starched quite a bit so the sizing is gone and it is softer. Overall I am pleased. The only other altnernative would to be using permanent fabric and I prefer the softness.

    after washing
    Name:  Attachment-225823.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  40.2 KB

    before washing
    Name:  Attachment-225830.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  49.4 KB

  17. #17
    Junior Member TeresaPendino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lumberton, TX
    Posts
    117
    Blog Entries
    23
    @romanojg I look forward to seeing how it's going & your pattern! Thank you for sharing.
    @laceybritt Gorgeous!
    @cuppi duke Hats tipped to you! I have never dyed before but don't think I could be brave enough to do it in my home. I would have it everywhere, lol.

    Thanks to all for your reassurance! I feel much better about pushing forward now :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.