Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cathedral Windows washing question >

Cathedral Windows washing question

Cathedral Windows washing question

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Traditionaly this quilt was always made w/muslin so I'm sure it should hold up because way back when they couldn't afford to waste their time or money on something that wouldn't last. The teacher that taught me told us she has some that are lap quilts and they have all held up with the washings. I just finished a different all muslin quilt and that teacher also said musling holds up very well; especially if you've used good muslin. Tons of people use muslin for the backs of thier quilts and I don't think it would be so popular if it didn't hold up. It may wrinkle as my one did. Normally I wouldn't have cared but I was showing it so I just steamed it a little. If you are sewing it good you should have no problem with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 AM

@romanojg Thank you so much for the input. I hadn't thought of it in that way. Makes perfect since. I guess I was more concerned of my windows not looking right after washing, but I could always steam if that is a problem. Would love to see a picture of the other quilt you did in this fabric. :)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 AM

I have found that muslin washes just as well as most of the fabric we buy nowdays. I dye all my own fabric and use muslin and haven't had any problems and this fabric gets washed alot.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaPendino
@romanojg Thank you so much for the input. I hadn't thought of it in that way. Makes perfect since. I guess I was more concerned of my windows not looking right after washing, but I could always steam if that is a problem. Would love to see a picture of the other quilt you did in this fabric. :)
It's not done but my goal this weekend is to get a picture of what I have and then also the sketch that I did in Windows for the pattern. It's been so hectic here at work and at home. I'll try to get it this weekend for you.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 AM

I hand washed what I had completed (a lttle over a runner size) and I laid it flat outside in the shade to dry. It did wrinkle more (as cotton does lol) but I gently stem pressed it and I was fairly pleased with the outcome. It is still not as 'pressed' as the original but still looks OK enough for me to finish the project. I will post a pic later in the day, gym time !!!!!!!!! :-D
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Here is the 'after' hand washing and pressing: There is more of a difference than the pics show. It has starched quite a bit so the sizing is gone and it is softer. Overall I am pleased. The only other altnernative would to be using permanent fabric and I prefer the softness.

after washing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225829[/ATTACH]

before washing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225836[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225823.jpe   attachment-225830.jpe  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 AM

@romanojg I look forward to seeing how it's going & your pattern! Thank you for sharing.
@laceybritt Gorgeous!
@cuppi duke Hats tipped to you! I have never dyed before but don't think I could be brave enough to do it in my home. I would have it everywhere, lol.

Thanks to all for your reassurance! I feel much better about pushing forward now :)