Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are women color blind, too? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/women-color-blind-too-t200511.html)

bnlmom 09-16-2012 02:46 PM

My husband is red/green color-blind. He has an uncanny way of "filtering" colors and can match things, such as curtains to the paint color in the room.

Katie 09-17-2012 03:27 AM

My dad was color blind and my oldest son is also color blind. We didn't really notice until he was older, like around 10 or 11. He sees shades not color. I used to think how sad, but he doesn't seem to mind so much. I guess you don't miss what you never had.

coopah 09-17-2012 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 5518489)

That's a good one, Chasing Hawk!! Good one for you on finding it! Now folks who read this board and wonder about their loved ones (seems like a lot of husbands may be taking this test soon!) have a free resource to check. :o :thumbup:

janiesews 09-17-2012 07:43 AM

When our oldest daughter was having eyes tested she wasn't able to read the part of the test that had to do with colored numbers in a background of another color and I just couldn't believe it. I stood behind her and looked at the page and it was so obvious to me - but the Dr. said it does happen to females but just not as often as men.

quiltgal 09-17-2012 07:51 AM

I have trouble making out the numbers for the red/green, but it is not too bad. Not sure if it is a 7 or a 2 for example. My husband who is not color blind often disagrees with me as far as what color things are so aware that I have a slight problem. My son is color blind so know that I am a carrier. The advantage to being color blind for men is that can see movement or patterns better and is an advantage when it comes to hunting. I can pick out a deer in the woods rather well because it helps me to see patterns. I often ask my husband for input on matching colors for a quilt and sometimes take his input. When I don't take his advise, he and other quilters tell me that I combine colors that they would not.

jbj137 09-17-2012 07:56 AM

Women are the carriers of Color Blindness
gene & they pass it on to their Male children.

My son has problems with bues & purples.
Kept him from becoming a pilot, but
no problem with red, green, yellows so he
is a Jet Mechanic.

Now as I get older I also have problems with
Navy & Black that I never had when younger.

J J

purplefiend 09-17-2012 08:26 AM

My Dad was shade color blind. He loved to buy shirts for my brothers, they were the awfullest color combos.

knitpurlgrrl 09-17-2012 09:11 AM

Two of my four brothers are/were red-green color blind. It is more common in men.

Slow2Sew 09-17-2012 09:30 AM

My father is colorblind, but loves to paint landscapes so he depends on the paint labels. My husband is not colorblind, but can see different shades much better than I can. Still can't talk him into fabric shopping with me.

mummadee 09-18-2012 05:07 AM

My sister is shade blind, she can tell blue from green, but not differences in the shades of blue or others. Blue is blue and green is green. Sky blue and aqua are the same to her. No wonder she was such an interesting dresser when we were kids, since this wasn't discovered until we were adults.