Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Word of the Day - Use it in a sentence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/word-day-use-sentence-t176431.html)

Krystyna 01-21-2012 11:31 AM

Word of the Day - Use it in a sentence

Here's a new amusement to lighten your day and make you sound even smarter than you already are!
I will post a word of the day. You are challenged to use it in a sentence. If you can manage to use it in a quilting related sentence - you will win the admiration of all on the board.

Today's word of the day is Remora (REM-er-uh)
An obstacle, hindrance, or obstruction.

Any of several fishes of the family Echeneididae, having on the top of the head a sucking disk by which they can attach themselves to sharks, turtles, ships, and other moving objects.

I'll go first.

My quilt top keeps slipping and I can't find my clamps, but the remora is really helping out.

Next ...

Diana Lynne 01-21-2012 11:36 AM

It would be so helpful if I had and Echeneididae to keep my fabric from slipping..Diana

Krystyna 01-21-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne (Post 4896480)
It would be so helpful if I had and Echeneididae to keep my fabric from slipping..Diana

Show off!:p

Diana Lynne 01-21-2012 11:46 AM

Do wonder where I can find a Echeneididae though LOL..Might make the fabric smell a bit fishy? :D Diana

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 4896502)
Show off!:p

reeskylr 01-21-2012 11:51 AM

The Echeneididae fish family is also called a 'Pilot Fish', I'm sure the Remora of this story are the quilters who keep trying to catch one to keep their fabrics from slipping...

:cool:

mmb195152 01-21-2012 12:25 PM

Great idea Kristyna! I would have used remora so badly, as I guessed definition #1. My remora today was my computer today, as it piloted me over 6 hours to learn to post a picture. Obviously, I still don't have it down right, but I was successful. Now to have some remora for supper. Isn't fish good for the brain? lol m

sandybuttons 01-21-2012 02:49 PM

I will train a remora to hang on to my money, I will keep it in my pocket, then maybe I can keep more of my money for stash!!!!!

brenda21 01-21-2012 04:22 PM

I cannot wait until my children make enough money that they don't have to behave as though I were a shark and they were remora....(and those of you who know me, know that is even a play on words with my last name HA!!)

Arleners 01-21-2012 04:24 PM

Hummmmmmm - - - -
Many times at the sewing machine I use my knees as a remora to prevent the quilt sandwich from slipping down to the floor.

Krystyna 01-21-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Arleners (Post 4897319)
Hummmmmmm - - - -
Many times at the sewing machine I use my knees as a remora to prevent the quilt sandwich from slipping down to the floor.

Arlene, I've often tried to get to Stony Brook from Long Beach but the traffic on the LIE proves to be a terrible remora!