Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Would it be tacky to....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/would-tacky-t221461.html)

SavedByGrace 05-14-2013 06:38 AM

Would it be tacky to.......

I have several graduation gifts to give this year. Would it be completely tacky to give a gift of something from Bath and Body Works instead of cash? I could get more bang for my buck that way, but don't want to offend by giving shower gel, etc. Anyone have any other "fiscally-conservative" ideas?

michelleoc 05-14-2013 06:39 AM

Personally, I think Bath and Body Works would be fine, especially if they are not close family members. Graduation season can sure get expensive!

SavedByGrace 05-14-2013 06:41 AM

Only one is a family member and he will get cash. The others are mainly kids from our church or children of friends.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-14-2013 06:41 AM

Not tacky at all in my opinion. If you don't know the scent they like, Bath and Body Works often has little sampler bottles. You can pick up 3 or 4 and dress them up in a 25 cent basket from Salvation Army.

BellaBoo 05-14-2013 07:02 AM

I think it will be a nice. My girls loved actual presents instead of cash and B&B was always a welcome gift.
What I think is tacky is the last few years I receive graduation notices from a lot from kids I've seen a few times when they were babies. The parents were friends at one time but have drifted away, haven't heard from them in years. Now when their child is graduating I am a family friend. The child does not know us at all. I'll send a card saying congratulations if I send anything at all. My kids weren't allowed to send out notices to everyone in our address book. Only family and close friends of the family.

gramajo 05-14-2013 07:05 AM

I prefer to send a gift rather than sending cash. I feel a chosen gift is much more personal than cash.

Jingle 05-14-2013 08:25 AM

I have been known to ignore invites for kids I don't really know. It is just to see how much loot they can get. Same way I feel about wedding and baby showers.

cjr 05-14-2013 08:34 AM

If they are going away to college, One of my traditional gifts has been a small ice chest, OR PICNIC COOLER. Perfect for taking homemade goodies back to college with them. and not t5o expensive. you could even fill with favorite beverage or reusable ice pack

raynhamquilter 05-14-2013 04:05 PM

I don't think a gift is necessary. A handwritten note congratulating them and wishing them well in the future is a thoughtful response to their announcments. Why is a gift expected?

Yankeegirl 05-14-2013 04:18 PM

If its not a close family member or the child of say your best friend I would not send anything. My sister always called that a beggin' party - a real turn off in my book. Of course its your personal choice and on that note I say your idea is great! Girls love that sort of thing and a gift is much more personal.