Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would it be tacky to.......

Would it be tacky to.......

I have several graduation gifts to give this year. Would it be completely tacky to give a gift of something from Bath and Body Works instead of cash? I could get more bang for my buck that way, but don't want to offend by giving shower gel, etc. Anyone have any other "fiscally-conservative" ideas?

Personally, I think Bath and Body Works would be fine, especially if they are not close family members. Graduation season can sure get expensive!

Only one is a family member and he will get cash. The others are mainly kids from our church or children of friends.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not tacky at all in my opinion. If you don't know the scent they like, Bath and Body Works often has little sampler bottles. You can pick up 3 or 4 and dress them up in a 25 cent basket from Salvation Army.

Blog Entries
    I think it will be a nice. My girls loved actual presents instead of cash and B&B was always a welcome gift.
    What I think is tacky is the last few years I receive graduation notices from a lot from kids I've seen a few times when they were babies. The parents were friends at one time but have drifted away, haven't heard from them in years. Now when their child is graduating I am a family friend. The child does not know us at all. I'll send a card saying congratulations if I send anything at all. My kids weren't allowed to send out notices to everyone in our address book. Only family and close friends of the family.
    Got fabric?

I prefer to send a gift rather than sending cash. I feel a chosen gift is much more personal than cash.

I have been known to ignore invites for kids I don't really know. It is just to see how much loot they can get. Same way I feel about wedding and baby showers.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

cjr
    If they are going away to college, One of my traditional gifts has been a small ice chest, OR PICNIC COOLER. Perfect for taking homemade goodies back to college with them. and not t5o expensive. you could even fill with favorite beverage or reusable ice pack
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

I don't think a gift is necessary. A handwritten note congratulating them and wishing them well in the future is a thoughtful response to their announcments. Why is a gift expected?
    raynhamquilter
    I hope you dance!

If its not a close family member or the child of say your best friend I would not send anything. My sister always called that a beggin' party - a real turn off in my book. Of course its your personal choice and on that note I say your idea is great! Girls love that sort of thing and a gift is much more personal.
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

Blog Entries
    Not tacky at all. I sometimes give a special card with a book mark to those I may not know as well like some of the graduates at church
    Last edited by loves_2_quilt; 05-14-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Personally I agree with raynhamquilter, I would do a gift for a relative or a VERY close friend, anyone else would get a card.

I would do a gift certificate to Walmart/Target, etc. instead. JMHO

Anita
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I'm filling out graduation invitations tonight. They went to family, friends, teachers, and sons friends.

About 60 sent out- and not to every relative.

I think a nice shower gel that they can take to college would be very nice.

Decision made.......shower gel & after shave for the boys......shower gel & lotion for the girls. Everything was on sale, plus got an additional 20% off for a "today-only" special, plus got free shipping. Good deal! Thank you for your input!!

Good choices and good deal!!!

Blog Entries
    Just give them what you can afford. Thats all you can do. If they are really friends they will appreciate what ever they get. Personally I think bed and bath Idea is wonderful. So I would do it if I was you.
    Last edited by grandmahoney; 05-15-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

Blog Entries
    How about a gift card from Bath & Body works. They can choose their own personal fragrance.

Because you asked if a sale Bath & Body Works gift would be tacky, you are probably already thinking it would. Follow your best instinct so you will never feel awkward about the gift you are giving.

We have friends with 4 daughters. They have Communions, graduations (high school & college), wedding showers, weddings and baby showers. We have started calling them "Fund Raisers", but we love them!

u s ually if the graduate is going to college...we send money to help with books, etc...but I agree that send only what you can and if you can't send a gift, words of praise is always a great thing to share.

Go for the Bath and Body Works gift. Money is too easily spend on unimportant spur of the moment purchases. Giving a GIFT is a way to indicate you made choices for that individual. And if you can save a few dollars, all the better. I keep a shelf in one of my closets where I store, bargains that I find throughout the year. I seldom have to go shopping for gifts for graduations, weddings or birthdays for folks who are not my immediate family members. Even they sometimes get gifts from my "closet" if the item fits and will be a blessing to them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would give a gift card like from VISA, MASTERCARD etc. Then they can use it at any store of their choice. When I give gift cards, I put them in a wrapped box or wrap the card. They may not like a certain store. You pay an extra charge but they can go anywhere they want. This way it's like actually getting money. They can use it at a clothing store. Last year our nephew got married and we gave them a VISA gift card. They took it with them on their honeymoon and used it to eat at restaurant they possibly wouldn't have eaten at if it weren't for the gift card. After they got back we got a thank you card and a phone call with a text photo of them eating at the restaurant. That is the only time we have ever gotten "Thank You" response from all that we have given. I was delighted.

I have found that many of the graduates like the cash because they apply to a computer upgrade or books, especially if they are going to college. Gift cards are great, if they are a universal type (VISA and MCard), but Wal-Mart is certainly universal. In the past I used to give office supplies for the college bound. This year, I lucked into a toolkit that is in a black bag with pink trim and tools with pink handles. I made up a toolkit for my daughter for her dorm. She said it was quite hand at school. For the non-college bound, I do cash or gift cards.

That's an interesting custom to give people gifts for passing exams...my parents were definitely in the self - motivation group. Lol.

I agree with you,Yankee girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    If its not a close family member or the child of say your best friend I would not send anything. My sister always called that a beggin' party - a real turn off in my book. Of course its your personal choice and on that note I say your idea is great! Girls love that sort of thing and a gift is much more personal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast