Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would it be tacky to....... >

Would it be tacky to.......

Would it be tacky to.......

Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 AM

Go for the Bath and Body Works gift. Money is too easily spend on unimportant spur of the moment purchases. Giving a GIFT is a way to indicate you made choices for that individual. And if you can save a few dollars, all the better. I keep a shelf in one of my closets where I store, bargains that I find throughout the year. I seldom have to go shopping for gifts for graduations, weddings or birthdays for folks who are not my immediate family members. Even they sometimes get gifts from my "closet" if the item fits and will be a blessing to them.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I would give a gift card like from VISA, MASTERCARD etc. Then they can use it at any store of their choice. When I give gift cards, I put them in a wrapped box or wrap the card. They may not like a certain store. You pay an extra charge but they can go anywhere they want. This way it's like actually getting money. They can use it at a clothing store. Last year our nephew got married and we gave them a VISA gift card. They took it with them on their honeymoon and used it to eat at restaurant they possibly wouldn't have eaten at if it weren't for the gift card. After they got back we got a thank you card and a phone call with a text photo of them eating at the restaurant. That is the only time we have ever gotten "Thank You" response from all that we have given. I was delighted.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 AM

I have found that many of the graduates like the cash because they apply to a computer upgrade or books, especially if they are going to college. Gift cards are great, if they are a universal type (VISA and MCard), but Wal-Mart is certainly universal. In the past I used to give office supplies for the college bound. This year, I lucked into a toolkit that is in a black bag with pink trim and tools with pink handles. I made up a toolkit for my daughter for her dorm. She said it was quite hand at school. For the non-college bound, I do cash or gift cards.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM

That's an interesting custom to give people gifts for passing exams...my parents were definitely in the self - motivation group. Lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM

I agree with you,Yankee girl.

Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
If its not a close family member or the child of say your best friend I would not send anything. My sister always called that a beggin' party - a real turn off in my book. Of course its your personal choice and on that note I say your idea is great! Girls love that sort of thing and a gift is much more personal.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Give what you want to or can afford.
It will then be theirs to do with as they please.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have been known to ignore invites for kids I don't really know. It is just to see how much loot they can get. Same way I feel about wedding and baby showers.
I agree with Jingle.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM

I don't think it is tacky. One of my daughters got a bath towel and wash cloths from a friends mom. She had the grad's name embroidered on it. If you have a machine with embroidery capabilities this could be a great take to college gift!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM

I don't think it's tacky at all. Most young girls love the stuff.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM

I found a really cute book one year that was titled something like "101 ways to cook ramen noodles". The kids thought it was a hoot! I also included a small cash gift ($10 or $20) inside.