Public Speaking

Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 PM

I gave my first full seminar today :) And ... I "winged" it. No script, no practicing other than I had already viewed the slides. Of course I was very familiar with the subject matter so it was easy to know what each slide represented. When I was done the seminar attendees and my team members - who all knew that I was a "virgin" (their word not mine - who was I to correct them :) ) - all said that my presentation was excellent. I'm very happy to have this "under my belt". The rest will come easily. The subject was dogs of course.

And now back on Quilting topic .... during my visit to Louisville I did indeed manage to visit a LQS! It was a lovely shop, had a TON of batiks and brighs but oh my the prices were outragoeous! So I only bought a little - a few batiks that I knew my LQS didn't have in colors I needed, a Kaffe Facet that I plan on doing an OBW with, and of course the OBW book.

Also got to see many of my good friends from across the country that I typically only see once a year, if that. And their dogs of course.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a very successful trip. We need to see a peek
at your purchases:)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I love public speaking. (Got a BA in Communication Studies so I better, huh?) Good for you. Your attitude will take you far.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Congrats on getting the public speaking under your belt. With practice it gets so easy you wonder why it is so difficult for some folks. I love it now. Give me a mike and folks to listen to me. I'm in heaven!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Sounds like a very successful trip. We need to see a peek
at your purchases:)
OK - here you go. The Kaffe has a future as an OBW - repeat size is a whopping 23" so I have 4 yards. No "immediate" plans as I have a project on my wall and another waiting to be finished. But it's here. The three batiks are colors I needed so have 1/2 yard each just for "stash".
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170723.jpe  
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I love public speaking. (Got a BA in Communication Studies so I better, huh?) Good for you. Your attitude will take you far.
I hate to toot my own horn but I've always felt comfortable public speaking. I have a good voice that carries well, I annunciate, I can adjust to questions and a specific audience, and I'm able to laugh at myself. I had just never done this particular presentation before AND it was the first time I've been paid specifically for public speaking.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM

I have to tell you of one of my first public speeches. I had a wonderful PS teacher in college. He taught us never to read anything, but that we could have a few note cards to glance at. I ran a distance learning center for the University and it was our first graduation. We had the ceremony in the movie theater that was next to the school. The seats were filled and it was time for me to do my thing. All smiles and with total confidence I took my place at the podium. I began strongly with the greetings and welcomes. then because I was taught to glance at my cards that's waht I did. I had highlighted the buzz words with blue and because we were in a movie theatre the lighting was very dim......I couldn't see a thing on my cards. With a very deep breath I charged forth and all was well. Needless to say I never used blue highlighter again.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:36 AM

Awesome you are fearless!
We had to give a speech in class or take a F . My choice was the F and over half of the class. However my teacher would not let use get way with it. She decided that if we were going to take the F, we would have to get up in front of the class and tell them why we would take the F instead of give a speech. She won neither way we were going to give a speech. Oh, by the way I change my mind and didn't take the F. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 AM

Congrats!

This is something I just can NOT do. Even standing up to say my name in a meeting make me turn scarlett and start to shake. I have no idea why.

I am a Leo, pretty outgoing, can talk to most anyone one-on-one or in a small group so I just don't understand the physical reactions to having to speak in front of a group.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Congrats! And PRETTY fabric!