Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Put a phone # in your purse >

Put a phone # in your purse

Put a phone # in your purse

Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 AM

You did what any Honest person would do. I would have done the very same thing. I am also very sure that the woman that lost it is equally thankful to you and your sons actions. I think that if you think the worst of everyone and everything, all you will gain is worry and more gray hair.
I know that a lot of people swear by snopes but to be honest it is biased. They are not like the Consumer Reports for urban legends. Has anyone heard on the news about any of those "water bottle" bombs going off? Hmmmm, I only hear about the Boston bombers and such.. You would think that there would be coverage of them happening all over the US.
Just my humble opinion..
Have a Great week!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

We have a PO box. The only thing that comes to our house is junk mail. If anything else comes it's because I know it's coming. I only allow pkgs. to be shipped to my house that will have a tracking number, I can go online and see where it is. Once DH found a purse (tote size). He walked around the purse and since we live in south Texas, he didn't pick it up. Good thing too, a small rattle snake crawled out of it. it was laying on the side of a sidewalk in a small rural town. he let the snake crawl away but called the police to pick it up. He was also asked why he didn't shoot the snake. He told the officer it didn't go into strike mode, it just crawled away and it needed to go to work to rid the nearby houses of rodents. Turns out the purse was empty of any cash but the ID was still in it. But it was a large tote and that is really the reason DH called the police.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

If you don't want to put your home phone number in your purse. Maybe put a business number if you know who owns it or someone working there. I don't see how you could expect to get it back, if they don't know how to contact you.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

great advise. I found a wallet in walmart parking lot with driver's license. used gps to return it to owner. leery jof handing things in at customer service where a multitude of employees wander through
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM

You could have written the address down and sent her a note telling her that you turned it in to "name" at the station.
At least she would have known that it was at the manager's office if she thought she lost it somewhere else.
Just a thought....you might have been able to find her phone number on the net if you typed in her name and address....then you could have left a message as to where her purse was. I did this with a stack of credit cards I found on a hiking trail....the lady was so thankful for my sending her cards back to her. unfortunately, she said she was at the race track and had about $800 in her purse. I felt bad she lost so much money. But at least she knew no one was using her cards.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Even if a "nice person" turns in your wallet or CC's, it is best to replace them (get new CC numbers). People have been known to copy the card numbers, then give the wallet back and wait a few weeks. If they are not cancelled, then they can commit fraud with them.

BTW, if someone has your address, they can find your phone #, and vice versa. There is no privacy anymore with the internet.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 PM
MCH

Another thought about ID on luggage...I always put either my husband's or my business card in 1) the luggage tag 2) taped to the inside lid of the suitcase and 3) in the suitcase. That way, they have a name, but the address and phone # is the office (you should be able to forward your office phone to your mobile #). If you're going to a hotel, you can also modify this to be your the hotel's name / address / phone # and your name . For your return, revert to the business card. Overall, the business card is a very good option. If you don't have one, then perhaps a friend would be willing to give you some of theirs. If you lose your suitcase, purse, camera or whatever and that friend's card is attached, they will get the call, take down the caller's info. and forward it to you.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
Today, My son and I went to DC. We took the DC metro. As we were getting off I noticed a purse. The purse had money, lots of credit cards, and a new batch of unwritten checks. No phone nor anything with a phone number on it. All I could do was leave it with the station manager. I know if it were me, I would be sick and it would probably ruin my whole trip.
So whatever you do, please- please PUT A Phone Number on the inside of your purse.
Here is an idea: how about putting your email address ....??? Plus keep a written account of what you have in your purse/wallet in regards to names and numbers of Credit cards, addresses and phone numbers AT HOME IN A SAFE PLACE... or you could use your business phone or another Contact in Case of Emergency Phone number. That way you are not using your Home phone number.... Besides my purse would be so heavy that they would drop it anyways...
Why would that lady carry so many charge cards anyways...???
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Banned

I'm surprised the phone number wasn't on the checks. Ours is. Or is that a rare thing now...