Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about Embird and ART format >

Question about Embird and ART format

Question about Embird and ART format

Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 AM

Default Question about Embird and ART format

I have Embird that I use with my Babylock Destiny and love it. My friend is getting an Army Battalion patch digitized and she needs it in ART format for her Bernina. The person digitizing it cannot put it into ART and I don't believe my Embird can convert another format into ART. Can anybody please help me? I bought the Embird from a website and I am not sure how to go back to them for help.
Thank you,
Jo Ann Ivey
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

can it be converted to .dst? i read recently that most machines can use .dst
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Yes, Embird can convert to .dst, but she thinks her machine will only read ART and that is one of the few that Embird cannot convert to.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Bernina will read DST but it will not be in the proper colors. DST has a set range of colors, reading blue, red, yellow, green in a certain order and does not transfer well. The machine, also, may not read the cuts at the end of the design color changes. When it is opened, it will be in odd colors. Suggest the design be made in the proper colors in another format, and take note of the proper colors and in what order they are in. Then convert to DST and include the proper colors by number and in what order used. Meaning: color 1 in the .art might be lavender, but in .dst it will be blue. Folow the correct color order and use the correct colors. Clip jump threads between colors, if possible to,prevent stitching over the ads that may be hard to clip after completion. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Bernina will read DST but it will not be in the proper colors. DST has a set range of colors, reading blue, red, yellow, green in a certain order and does not transfer well. The machine, also, may not read the cuts at the end of the design color changes. When it is opened, it will be in odd colors. Suggest the design be made in the proper colors in another format, and take note of the proper colors and in what order they are in. Then convert to DST and include the proper colors by number and in what order used. Meaning: color 1 in the .art might be lavender, but in .dst it will be blue. Folow the correct color order and use the correct colors. Clip jump threads between colors, if possible to,prevent stitching over the ads that may be hard to clip after completion. Hope that makes sense.
thanks for that explanation... that explains why some designs i've seen years ago were not in the proper colors
Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Thank you so much for this information. At least it gives my friend and I a good starting point.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 PM

It depends on the Bernina machine and how you are going to use the design. If you have a computer connected to the Bernina and "Read" the design to the machine, you need the file to be in the ART format. However many of the new machines have a USB port on the machine. (Bernina 600, 700 and 800 series have a USB port. I'm not sure about the 500 series that embroiders, but I think it also has a USB port.) If you are going to put the design on a USB stick and put the USB stick into the machine, you have to use the EXP format.

However, you have the Bernina software, you can open many different formats. I have opened PES, HUS, JEF, EXP and changed to ART and EXP formats. To do this, "open" the file. If you can't see the file, make sure you tell it to "Show all files". The default is to only show ART files. After the design comes up on the screen, tell it to "save as". Then you will have a choice is to the file format you want to save it as. Choose ART if you are going to have the computer connected to the embroidery machine or as EXP if you are going to be using a USB stick. I do not know what format Embird uses but I have been able to open Babylock files and change them to EXP files to be used on a Bernina 635. So if she can save as EXP and you are going to be using a USB stick in your Bernina, you can make it work.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM

I just checked the Embird site. It says it will write to EXP. So I suggest, if the Bernina machine has a USB port you will be using, save the design as EXP and use a USB stick in the machine. That is a whole lot easier than needing to convert the file by using the Bernina software.
If your Bernina does not have a USB port, you can save it as PES. Then you will need to use the Bernina software and convert it to ART.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:22 AM

My Bernina uses .exp format, try that
Old 01-18-2017, 04:29 AM

I think Bernina reads another format besides DST-EXP. I have converted designs for a friend using Embird for her Bernina successfully.