Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Is there any use for double knit anymore? I'm cleaning out things from my mil and have two bags of double knit. Also some small bundles of different colored satin? Toss them or what? Thanks for any help. I didn't know what section to put this in, I'm sorry if it's the wrong one.

I would not toss them, take them down to a Senior center, ask a guild if they have use of them or give them to a resale shop. Someone will probably want them! I know some groups actually make quilts out of doubleknit/polyester for use by police and fire depts. The poly doesn't stain or that is what I have been told.

The senior citizens in my home town mad lap size throws. They gave them to the ambulance people for use in wrecks. Can be used for utility blankets kept in a car in case you need something to lay on to change a tire or to put under a tire to get traction. They wash nice.

cut into strips and braided or crocheted, DK makes an indestructable rug. DH also made me a garden quilt out of large pieces, to cover the garden when frost is coming in the fall. Worked great, did not blow around, lasted forever (longer than my garden!)

As a last resort, offer them on Freecycle, someone will want them.

Really good double knit is hard to find, I would contact the local sewing guild to see if they take donations. Double knit makes great quilts, my mom made one out of multiple colors of double knit and my son used until it was literally in shreds. Don't throw it away! Someone would love to have it. You could even list it on Craigslist as a free item.
    Chocolate is the Answer. Who cares what the question is.

I've used double knits and satins for doll clothes (Barbies and the 18" dolls). The knits have alittle more "give" for little fingers changing doll clothes.

Power Poster
    I made a double knit quilt over 30? years ago and it is still going strong. There are some great examples here on QB. There are also some satin quilts (angel wings), satin bindings etc. on QB.

I have been making a dear friend chemo caps. Maybe you could find someone around there who could make some to give to chemo patients.
    Country1
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    our quilting seniors just finished a charity quilt with fabrics mixed with the double knits.
    Nancy in western NY

If they are the thick double knit that is the same color on both sides, I would love to have them. I will pay postage and maybe send you something you do want????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast