Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilting and Needlework for Soldiers >

Quilting and Needlework for Soldiers

Quilting and Needlework for Soldiers

Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM

I am a mother,grandma, friend and quilter. One of my sons has been in the service for almost 20 years. He recently told me about opgratitude.com. This is the web site that Gary Sinise is involved with. Bless him. My son has been in Iraq a few times and has told me the importance of the knitting, crochet, and now quilted scarves so desperately needed by the service men and women. Cool ties are desperately needed and for those of us in quilt clubs and have stash it would very possibly save a life. I hope anyone reading this will take a look. Directions are there, very easy to do. They also need letters. My son said when they receive letters that it is one of the best things that can happen and alot of service people frame them and yes you will get a letter back. I guess the idea is LET US NOT FORGET WHO WALKS THE LINE FOR US EVERYDAY!!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I am all of the above too. One of my sons is in Iraq for the third time. I will definitely check out that site.
Thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure how else to get out the message. The full name of the website is operation gratitude. Maybe if we both share stories that our sons and daughters have told us about these care packages, it will help. My son has been 3 times in Iraq and will be going back. He is a Senior Petty officer in the Navy stationed on Whidbey Island. I'm so proud of him and the others who serve. He really stressed the importance of letters and how much they mean to everyone. I've done 3 scarves crochet and ordered the polymers for cool ties but I did not order it from the place they recommended it. I got it quite a bet cheaper elsewhere. By the way: Bless you for raising a child who loves his/her country too.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Our DD is back in AF for the 2nd time. She is on a very small post of about 150 troops. I was very upset to find out that she will be the only woman there as her BB is now Pregnant. I have to believe that GOD will take care of her.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:42 PM

I too will include her in my prayers.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Thank you for mentioning the site! I will definitely see what part I can play for our men/women serving our country. Prayers for all the sons/daughters/family members serving.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM

God Bless all our service Men and Women for the jobs they do to keep us safe and bless the families they leave behind.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm going to challenge all to make this our new "for the troops" project for 2011 and wil lpost a new topic about it. Thank you Bettyrasm for bringing this to our attention!

Jan in VA
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Thank you so much from me and all the other families with sons and daughters that are soldiers. May God Bless Your Efforts of love and kindness
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 PM

i will take a look at that site thanks