Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else? >

Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else?

Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Default Really upset about being scammed by National Publishers Exchange...Anyone else?

Have any of you dealt with this scam operation? A few days ago I started getting magazines delivered to my house that I did not order. I contacted the magazine publishers, and they say that the subscriptions were entered by "National Publishers Exchange" or "National Publishers Agency." I googled this company and they known scam artists... they enter a bunch of subscriptions in your name, and then harrass you to pay them, and then have a collection agency harrass you some more. I have yet to receive a bill from them, but I know it's coming, because many, many people online have complained about them.

My Mom lives with me and this company often targets the elderly, but she swears that she has not spoken to anyone on the phone about magazines.

Has anyone here had this happen? If so, could you please tell me how you handled it? My Mom is very ill with a breast cancer recurrence and I am so stressed out right now, I just cannot handle another problem. I am so angry about this!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Administrator

look up your state's website and look for consumer protection agencies. contact them and provide as much information as possible.

also consult the federal website http://www.ftc.gov/
there might be more than one place to file a report.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Do not pay them because they will keep coming after you. I agree with above suggestion. We are constantly getting my mom out of things like this because sometimes she does agree to things she doesn't understand. We are dealing with Children's Make a Wish and Readers Digest books. Make a wish refunded her money and agreed to stop taking it directly from her checking account. Not sure how they managed to get that far.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 PM

I agree look up your states consumer protection agency and report what is happening to you. If you have an address for this company sit down and write a very stongly worded letter. Tell them you did not order any magazines of any kind. This Naptional Publishers Exchange orderd these without your permission. You will not pay for any magazines sent. That if any magazines, after the date of the letter are sent, you will consider them a gift. Send the letter certified or signature required and ask for a receipt. It is going to cost you a little out of pocket to send the letter, but these company's do not like this kind of mail. Make sure you date everything and keep copies for your records along with receipts. Get names if you have any verbal contact with them on the phone as well as the time the call took place. If you have a answering machine advise them you will be recording the conversation. Above all as other have said, no matter what they threaten, do not pay them a dime, that is the same as saying you did order the magazines.
I had to handle a magazine issue for my mother-in-law this way. After sending the letter I never heard another word from publishers clearing house. Now I have never heard of this company you talking about but you do not need this added stress right now. I'm sorry about you mom's illness and that you are having to deal with this. Good luck, I hope all of these suggestions help you. Company's like this make my blood boil.

Last edited by valsma; 11-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have my state's attorney general's website saved on my computer. As soon as I see a bill arrive from these scammers, I will contact their consumer protection unit. Right now I don't have anything but an 800 phone number that nobody ever answers (just a continuous "your call is important to us....." recording). So I will wait and get all of my ducks in a row, so to speak. I am holding onto all of the magazines and I've put the date received on each one. I've also saved all of the consumer reporting websites where I found complaints from people in other states. Hopefully I can get this resolved without too much aggravation.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Don't accept the magazines. Take them to the post office and tell them you are refusing them and to send them back.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM

I recently started receiving books in the mail i did not order. my husband who works for the post office told me to write refused on it and send it back. a few days later i got a bill in the mail for 2 books. i called and told them i never ordered the books. they said they would stop the subscription but i had to pay for the 2. i told them i wasn't paying for something i never ordered. she insisted i ordered it and i demanded proof. of course they couldn't provide it. i then told them they could take me to court for not paying but i would countersue. then i proceeded to tell the company they owed me money for my time and i would be sending them a bill. they decided i was too crazy to deal with i guess and said they were dropping the whole thing!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Have any of you dealt with this scam operation? A few days ago I started getting magazines delivered to my house that I did not order. I contacted the magazine publishers, and they say that the subscriptions were entered by "National Publishers Exchange" or "National Publishers Agency." I googled this company and they known scam artists... they enter a bunch of subscriptions in your name, and then harrass you to pay them, and then have a collection agency harrass you some more. I have yet to receive a bill from them, but I know it's coming, because many, many people online have complained about them.

My Mom lives with me and this company often targets the elderly, but she swears that she has not spoken to anyone on the phone about magazines.

Has anyone here had this happen? If so, could you please tell me how you handled it? My Mom is very ill with a breast cancer recurrence and I am so stressed out right now, I just cannot handle another problem. I am so angry about this!
We've just had the same thing happen. I looked in the magazine and found a number for subscriptions. I called and they said it was a paid order from some subscription service. Can't remember the name. The magazine gave me their phone number and I called and they said they would cancel the subscription. No one's harassing us about payment so I'm hoping it's taken care of.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Talk to your post office. I was told years ago after recieving a book from Disney that if you don't order something you not only don't have to pay for it you don't have to return it. I wrote Disney a letter with this info and the apploigized to me and I never got another bill. Check with the PO though since things change all of the time.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM

First of all, call/contact all of the publishers and CANCEL the subscriptions. Get a written (email) reply from the publishers that the subscriptions have been cancelled. When you get the bill from these creeps, send it back with copies of all the cancellation notices.

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have my state's attorney general's website saved on my computer. As soon as I see a bill arrive from these scammers, I will contact their consumer protection unit. Right now I don't have anything but an 800 phone number that nobody ever answers (just a continuous "your call is important to us....." recording). So I will wait and get all of my ducks in a row, so to speak. I am holding onto all of the magazines and I've put the date received on each one. I've also saved all of the consumer reporting websites where I found complaints from people in other states. Hopefully I can get this resolved without too much aggravation.