Reflecting on years

Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 AM

We had our 45th this year. 11 out of the 36 made it. It was easy to recognize the ladies most of us looked just like i remembered their Mom.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 AM

The class of '74 did not have many who attended-most of us no longer live near enough to make the trip.But one classmate asked those of us not attending to send recent pictures of ourselves-with a little history of our life since graduation. He done a beautiful job of sending high lights of the festivities and a Then and Now on a similar theme as our year book. The ones who stayed in the area all looked so old and unrecognizable. While the majority of us who have traveled afar look younger than our years. I was out with my 40 yr old DIL and we ran into an old friend of my brothers. Before I could introduce DIL , she says I didn't know you guys had an older sister. I'm 58 my brother is 61. Lots of red faces. But my father will be 90 in less then 3 wks and he does not look a day over 65. So glad I was blessed with his anti-aging gene.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM

My 40th reunion is coming up in about 3 weeks. Kind of dreading it...definitely not the slim cute gal I was 40 years ago! Actually...don't want to run in to my ex-fiance. I have heard thru the grapevine that he hasn't aged much at all.

Speaking of getting older...recently I went to a memorial service for my 83 year old aunt. As I walked in, the first person I saw was a step-cousin...for a moment there I really thought he was his dad! After it was over and I was talking to my other cousins I thought to myself about how OLD they all looked. Yikes! I don't normally think of myself as being old and I'm 58!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
My 45h HS reunion was the last for me. I did enjoy seeing everyone, but found that many that I had wanted to see, had died. I decided to let the past and it's good memories hold for me.....Life goes on and we all change in so many ways. Perhaps if I was able to see some of these people oftener than every five years, I would feel differently. I am now 76......old!
i so agree with you! life does go on & we all change. i have never been to a high shcool reunion. i decided a long time ago that the friends i love, enjoy and want to spend time with are the ones with whom i have traveled the walkways of our lives together. when the miles seperate us we write letters & emails and skype and phone. i have felt it would not be that interesting to go back and see how the appearances of any one i have worked with, gone to school with or just knew in the neighborhood, have changed. not interested in how they have weathered the years. and i don't reminisce about the old days. don't have time for that, i'm having too much fun in the new days.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

WOW, you made me realize that it's been 50 years since I graduated from high school, time flies. I've only been able to attend a couple class reunions as I moved from the Midwest to the East Coast and the dates never coincided with family reunions, and I couldn't attend both in one year. I have kept in touch with some of my classmates, plus my brother married a gal 2 classes behind me, so she keeps me informed on what everyone is doing; but it's not like being there in person.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 PM

I think it varies for everyone. We just attended DH's 50th Grade School reunion. Had about 35 people there. Nice thing is that many of the grade-schoolers attended the same high school. His class has stayed close, and we've attended all of the reunions. My 45th is this fall, and we'll attend that also. I've remained close with many of my classmates, and the reunions have become warm, laughter filled fun times. I met DH one year after graduating, so have known some of his friends "forever"!! In fact at his last reunion they had me listed as a class member!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 PM

I went to my 10th HS reunion and went with my husband to his. (We went to the same HS and his was 2 years before mine.) When I walked into mine, the first thing I heard was a girl saying to my husband, "You are still with the blonde?" (Yep - and he still is.) And a little later I was in the rest room and while I was in the stall, one girl that was married to an old boyfriend of mine, was talking about how stressful it was since I came. (Not sure if she knew I was in the restroom or not.) OMG, I was not that popular in HS and I suddenly felt I was back in it with all the drama. I was the school newspaper editor so knew a lot of the students and didn't really hang out with just one group. I thought I got along with almost everyone. Didn't think anyone would be upset that I would be there. The one girl I was hoping to connect with was not there, she did attend the 20th but she didn't give my SIL her address, so that was that.

It's now 42 years since HS and the ones that I wanted to keep in contact with I did and the rest, oh well. My HS best friend died last year so really have no reason to return.

My husband has gone to a few of his reunions without me (he took our youngest daughter), he enjoyed them until there was no one willing to plan them anymore and we are too far away to try. They merged two HS's together so any reunions now include both schools - which is funny since they were rivals back in the day.

Maybe if they had been held at the school instead of in a ballroom at some fancy hotel it would have been better. Not sure - just easier to look forward than behind for me.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM

I Had my 50th 2 years ago and it was great! We had 25 in our class (small school), 6 have passed leaving 19. We had 15 at the reunion and it was like we had never been apart. The highlight of it was that a guy from Virginia came and since then, he and a gal (widow) that had lived in British Columbia for years and had recently moved back to town were married a year later. Of the graduating 25, 18 of us went to school together K thru 12 so were like family after all that time. Can't wait for the next one in three years.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Maybe if they had been held at the school instead of in a ballroom at some fancy hotel it would have been better. Not sure - just easier to look forward than behind for me.
my husband always goes to his. he decided not to this year. then i read the "details" ...they had chosen an extremely expensive winery resort .. hotel/restaurant/convention cnter ... we could go on a very nice budget cruise for the cost of the reservation package. so hubs decided he'd just hold off on any more reunion trips (two day drive - no commercial airport in less than one day drive distance) til they organized the 50th. maybe the organizers will have gotten a little economical w other peoples bank accounts by then. lol