Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rusty Fireplace Screen

Rusty Fireplace Screen

We moved to another house two months ago. The house is about 20 years old. The screen on the fireplace is rusted! I have never seen anything like it. Has anyone seen this? What can you do about it?

Blog Entries
    Buy a new one?

Power Poster
    Is the fireplace wood or gas? With gas, I would suggest getting an estimate from a fireplace expert to give you the cost of replacement. If it is wood, is it the insert that is rusted or the mesh screen. If it is the mesh screen, I would buy rust proof, heat proof aerosol paint and spray paint it WHEN THE FIRE IS NOT ON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Is the fireplace wood or gas? With gas, I would suggest getting an estimate from a fireplace expert to give you the cost of replacement. If it is wood, is it the insert that is rusted or the mesh screen. If it is the mesh screen, I would buy rust proof, heat proof aerosol paint and spray paint it WHEN THE FIRE IS NOT ON!!!!
    I agree...and if it is removable, it will be a lot easier to deal with. I have only experienced this problem with a house that hasn't been lived in for a while, or is damp. You may want to address any damp issues whilst you are fixing up the rusted parts. If it is a wood fireplace, you may need to see if moisture is coming down the chimney.