Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Fireplace mantel runner?

  1. #1
    Super Member ginnie6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,314
    Has anyone made one? I keep thinking about something to hang from the mantel during the times of year its not in use. Wouldn't attempt to put one there now. Just wondering if there are any patterns or if anyone else has done this. I'm not a table topper kinda gal but this sounds interesting.

  2. #2
    Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    745
    I did a simple Google search and found this really wonderful one.
    http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/fa...er-pattern.htm
    and this one:
    http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-qui...tle-Scarf.aspx

  3. #3
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    I saw a really neat one somewhere just last night. It was done in a Bargello style with the bottom either in black or white. The bargello part was curved up and it had applique ornaments hanging from the top of each curve. Very pretty but I don't remember where I saw it.

  4. #4
    Super Member ginnie6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,314
    oooh I really like the Fanfare one! Thank you!

  5. #5
    Senior Member redpurselady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I saw a really neat one somewhere just last night. It was done in a Bargello style with the bottom either in black or white. The bargello part was curved up and it had applique ornaments hanging from the top of each curve. Very pretty but I don't remember where I saw it.
    Is this it?
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...n__D55526.HTML

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,294
    I made one from a pattern in a book several years ago and the recipient loves it - uses it every year. Instead of on her mantel, however, she uses it across the top of a tall antique wardrobe...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    44
    Here is a desinger with some cute ones! http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/m-1...-n-graves.aspx

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I saw a really neat one somewhere just last night. It was done in a Bargello style with the bottom either in black or white. The bargello part was curved up and it had applique ornaments hanging from the top of each curve. Very pretty but I don't remember where I saw it.
    Is this it?
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...n__D55526.HTML
    hi,i had ordered the kit in black,theycalled to say they no longer had the kits,but did have the pattern.
    never having done a bargello o ra kit ,i was really excite to get it.they do still have the kit in white.i ordered the pattern,so wish me luck !
    i will say it was nice that they actually called me w/ options& were very nice to talk to
    dar

  9. #9
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I saw a really neat one somewhere just last night. It was done in a Bargello style with the bottom either in black or white. The bargello part was curved up and it had applique ornaments hanging from the top of each curve. Very pretty but I don't remember where I saw it.
    Is this it?
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...n__D55526.HTML
    I love Connecting Threads - I buy from them all the time - However, my DH is a PITA about our fireplace (brick) and wooden mantle - I get to put a fir garland on it for the Holidays- put it comes off right after Christmas.
    Would love to make one to put on fireplace

  10. #10
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    I made one a few years back. I measured the mantle shelf, and divided the long side to decide how many triangles to make, and put one on each end to wrap round the corner, and then one on each short side. I made the triangles double sided so that the whole thing is reversible, and sandwiched the raw edges of the triangles between two layers of fabric cut to the shelf top, with seam allowances added.

    Hope that makes sense. (I trimmed with bells for some fun)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    I want to order the pattern from CT, maybe after xmas, so I can do it for next year. Love that design, so pretty!

  12. #12
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I made one a few years back. I measured the mantle shelf, and divided the long side to decide how many triangles to make, and put one on each end to wrap round the corner, and then one on each short side. I made the triangles double sided so that the whole thing is reversible, and sandwiched the raw edges of the triangles between two layers of fabric cut to the shelf top, with seam allowances added.

    Hope that makes sense. (I trimmed with bells for some fun)
    Fabulous!

  13. #13
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Wonderful patterns, thanks everyone!!

  14. #14
    Super Member brenda21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,126
    there are supposed to be some really nice patterns in the book Quilts for Mantels and More by Susan Thompson...maybe check for it on Amazon....I haven't seen the book but I've seem some mantle scarfs/runners that were made from the patterns in it and they were all really nice.

  15. #15
    colin' s grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lawrenceville GA
    Posts
    64
    I actually just made this one, it was very simple :D
    Attached Images Attached Images


  16. #16
    colin' s grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lawrenceville GA
    Posts
    64
    Here are a few others I have made.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  17. #17
    Senior Member hevemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Turku, Finland
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    Has anyone made one? I keep thinking about something to hang from the mantel during the times of year its not in use. Wouldn't attempt to put one there now. Just wondering if there are any patterns or if anyone else has done this. I'm not a table topper kinda gal but this sounds interesting.
    The Dec La Table bargello pattern can be purchased on line here http://www.e-patternscentral.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member retired2pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by hevemi
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    Has anyone made one? I keep thinking about something to hang from the mantel during the times of year its not in use. Wouldn't attempt to put one there now. Just wondering if there are any patterns or if anyone else has done this. I'm not a table topper kinda gal but this sounds interesting.
    The Dec La Table bargello pattern can be purchased on line here http://www.e-patternscentral.com
    I just bought this from e-patternscentral.com! It was a little less than CT. I Love e-patterns web :) Now I need to get my fabric. Looks like a shopping trip is in order.....LOL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.