RV Travel

Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Motorhome = long days traveling, 2 get to enjoy the view, as driver and other front seat driver are keeping their eyes on the road, tired drivers, expensive gas, peanut butter sandwiches, smelly feet, tired card games, arguments galore.
airplane = faster safer trip, everyone can sleep (or enjoy the view),can take a partial cruise ship too, everyone too excited to argue, faster safer trip home
I'd go with the plane ride...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM

It can be pricey, but if you have the time and patience, I would say the experience would be worth the price and any inconvenience.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
We will have 4 drivers (2 teenager new drivers so not sure how much I will let them drive).
-----------------------------------------
Teenagers driving such a huge vehicle? NEW drivers at the wheel of a monster car with human passengers and innocent drivers on the road with them?

The very thought of this frightens me. Teens need years of driving practice to be able to drive in their own towns, much less in strange places with hills and....well, please don't do this to your family and whomever of my own far flung family who might be driving on those same roads.

Go talk to a Highway Patrolman and ask him/her what he/she thinks of putting a new teen driver behind the wheel of such a vehicle. They can probably tell you a few things that will curl your hair!! And THEN go to your own insurance agent...and tell the rental place what you have planned. Ask if your insurance will cover this trip.
You're right....I was just planning all of this is my "ideal" world. The teens are not such great drivers now.....that is why they are not getting their licenses for a long time. It is sounding more and more like I need to be saving for 4 airline tickets and keep looking for that "good deal."
I have a year to figure it out...
Thanks for your words of wisdom.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
We will have 4 drivers (2 teenager new drivers so not sure how much I will let them drive).
-----------------------------------------
Teenagers driving such a huge vehicle? NEW drivers at the wheel of a monster car with human passengers and innocent drivers on the road with them?

The very thought of this frightens me. Teens need years of driving practice to be able to drive in their own towns, much less in strange places with hills and....well, please don't do this to your family and whomever of my own far flung family who might be driving on those same roads.

Go talk to a Highway Patrolman and ask him/her what he/she thinks of putting a new teen driver behind the wheel of such a vehicle. They can probably tell you a few things that will curl your hair!! And THEN go to your own insurance agent...and tell the rental place what you have planned. Ask if your insurance will cover this trip.
You're right....I was just planning all of this is my "ideal" world. The teens are not such great drivers now.....that is why they are not getting their licenses for a long time. It is sounding more and more like I need to be saving for 4 airline tickets and keep looking for that "good deal."
I have a year to figure it out...
Thanks for your words of wisdom.
Check out Priceline.com. A few months ago one way from Nebraska to Seattle was $365. Last week they had round trip tickets for $221 per person. Quite a savings. You just have to keep checking because they sneak those deals in every so often and you want to catch them as soon as you can.

Having said that, we are going to Seattle with our 5th wheel at the end of the month. We are retired and have plenty of time. We plan to see as much as we can while in-route. That's the reason we bought the 5th wheel. I'm pretty sure your teens would be happier on an airplane though. I know my kids would prefer flying if at all possible.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 PM

I'd look into the cost of luggage on a flight....NO WAY a teenager can pack everything he needs in a carry on and one suitcase. I'm just saying........
Old 08-16-2011, 05:23 AM
dd

My husband works for an RV dealer that also rents. They don't rent the big ones and they also rent pop up trailers. They won't let the kids drive. It was, not sure what it is now, $100/day plus mileage and like Navy Wife said, not good 6-8 mpg. Personally ~ too many people holed up in too small a place for too long a time is not good. Check flights. I know its inconvenient too but probably cheaper in the long run and safer. You just can't pack to the gills.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Airline tickets would be cheaper, maybe fly one way and drive the other? :D:D:D
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen
I'd look into the cost of luggage on a flight....NO WAY a teenager can pack everything he needs in a carry on and one suitcase. I'm just saying........
-----------------------------------------------------------
I think here it should be "SHE" with packing everything. But it's time they learned. Let them pack several times and weigh them and remove this and that. They'll learn.

Could you ship whatever by UPS and use it there then ship it back?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM

i agree with several of the others. I'd be looking out for cheap airline tickets.