Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Travel Kit?

Okay, if you were travelling on a short trip, one week or less, what would you take with you in a small travel kit?

This is what I would take (this is also what I take to classes):
    scissors
    one spool silk thread
    one spool cotton thread
    one spool all-purpose thread
    needles
    some pins
    my clover thread cutter
    a thimble
    two or three small projects - one applique, one cross-stitch, one hand-sewing or mending (I need variety)

I can sew then anywhere...

What do you bring?

Does anyone bring their sewing machine with you when travelling?

Dummy me, I figured I would have way too much planned for this week end so I didn't pack anything and now- I'm still up at 6:00 a.m. twiddling my thumbs waiting for saomeone else to get up. WHERE WAS THIS LAST WEEK????? Whine whine! :)

Anyway, I'm making pierogies tomorrow morning. Should have a batch or 2 done by the time everyone else gets up. Then to the beach in the afternoon.

Couldn't get anyone to go to Hancock's with me today, so I have to wait to get home for my sewing fix! At least I'm working on the shop hop!

Barb

Since the only traveling I could do the past pretty much 12 years was on a plane, instead of scissors, I would take a pair of baby nail clippers. They are great for clipping threads and the airport won't take them from you. :)

Just got back from the mtns. I brought threee projects and got one done in between stints as a plumbers helper. I brought two pr of scissors--one pair of little bitty ones and one of the fat lipped applique type; should have brought rotary cutter.,too. I had thread, pins, needles and sewing machine up there. Got the swing cushion and 2 of the three matching pillows done. It was lovely to sit outside and hand quilt during my time off from plumbing. Weather was heavenly--lows in the 50's and 60's highs in the upper 70's low 80's.

We have a yellow lab that runs in hunt test trials and I bring a sewing basket with a project that I can stitch on while hubby and dog do their thing. Then I just bring neeles thread and my small scissors for snipping thread and pins.

When I travel I try to take at least one project - hand quilting usually - making sure I have all I need to do it. And/or I take redwork with me - wherever I go usually - just keep it in the car to do whenever.

When I travel I always take my crochet with me. I always have a project going, baby afghan, scarf for Christmas...Sewing just has to wait until I get home.

I'm still a newbie. I just bring quilt magazines. Now you've inspired me to bring hand quilting, applique, embroidery, etc. Let me know where you guys are parked, I may pop over for a lesson!

I found out about ten years ago that in the daylight as a car passenger I can sew. I can't read or even read a map b/c I get terrible motion sickness. I suppose it's bc you can't really read a jiggley book. It seems that when the sewing moves so do the eyes (my theory - lol) so that's okay... To get to Southern Ont is about 3-5 hours depending on where we go... and of that I can sew/stitch about two thirds of the time. When we travel at night, since looking at darkness speeding by is pretty boring, I sleep while DH or the bus driver drives. I'm not allowed to drive :) and that's just fine...
    If we had kids, I suppose I wouldn't take a travel kit, but talk to and entertain and referee the little ones...

I always have a bag ready to go. I usually have at least one knitting project on the go and this is nice for traveling in the car. If I'm going away for more than overnight, then I take my sewing machine, fold up cutting mat, rotary cutter, scissors, thread, pins, seam ripper,etc.
    No one ever accused me of traveling light.

Hahaha. I have to laugh about a "travel kit."

I used to carry a sewing kit with me on the job for when I had a lot of down time.

I had a cute table runner that I made and had like an hour and a half between jobs and wanted to sew on the binding.

Problem was, my job was in the courthouse and the security confiscated my needles and sewing scissors.

But, I had a threaded needle in the actual fabric from when I had began the blind stitching. They didn't detect that in the x-ray machine.

So, I borrowed someone's scissors and they let me keep my thimble and just sewed anyway.

That really ticked me off. There's a point where security is ridiculous. Someone's needles and sewing scissors are not terrorist paraphernalia.

Just got back from 12 hours on the road and took my dresden plate circles. my squares and the centers with me, sewed on the way home, of course needles, thread small scissors thimble and pins it all fit in a large zip lock bag. I have also taken my hand quilting and managed to finnish a quilt on one of these trips.

We RV for the summer, so I take a small sewing machine, my kit with sewing supplies, and a project or two to work on. Also knitting supplies for slippers.