Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Travel Kit? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/travel-kit-t8771.html)

DreamXer 07-05-2008 04:50 PM

Okay, if you were travelling on a short trip, one week or less, what would you take with you in a small travel kit?

This is what I would take (this is also what I take to classes):
scissors
one spool silk thread
one spool cotton thread
one spool all-purpose thread
needles
some pins
my clover thread cutter
a thimble
two or three small projects - one applique, one cross-stitch, one hand-sewing or mending (I need variety)

I can sew then anywhere...

What do you bring?

DreamXer 07-05-2008 04:51 PM

Does anyone bring their sewing machine with you when travelling?

Barbm 07-05-2008 05:15 PM

Dummy me, I figured I would have way too much planned for this week end so I didn't pack anything and now- I'm still up at 6:00 a.m. twiddling my thumbs waiting for saomeone else to get up. WHERE WAS THIS LAST WEEK????? Whine whine! :)

Anyway, I'm making pierogies tomorrow morning. Should have a batch or 2 done by the time everyone else gets up. Then to the beach in the afternoon.

Couldn't get anyone to go to Hancock's with me today, so I have to wait to get home for my sewing fix! At least I'm working on the shop hop!

Barb

tlrnhi 07-05-2008 06:38 PM

Since the only traveling I could do the past pretty much 12 years was on a plane, instead of scissors, I would take a pair of baby nail clippers. They are great for clipping threads and the airport won't take them from you. :)

vicki reno 07-08-2008 09:59 AM

Just got back from the mtns. I brought threee projects and got one done in between stints as a plumbers helper. I brought two pr of scissors--one pair of little bitty ones and one of the fat lipped applique type; should have brought rotary cutter.,too. I had thread, pins, needles and sewing machine up there. Got the swing cushion and 2 of the three matching pillows done. It was lovely to sit outside and hand quilt during my time off from plumbing. Weather was heavenly--lows in the 50's and 60's highs in the upper 70's low 80's.

We have a yellow lab that runs in hunt test trials and I bring a sewing basket with a project that I can stitch on while hubby and dog do their thing. Then I just bring neeles thread and my small scissors for snipping thread and pins.

thequiltlady08 07-08-2008 02:39 PM

When I travel I try to take at least one project - hand quilting usually - making sure I have all I need to do it. And/or I take redwork with me - wherever I go usually - just keep it in the car to do whenever.

johnette 07-08-2008 05:48 PM

When I travel I always take my crochet with me. I always have a project going, baby afghan, scarf for Christmas...Sewing just has to wait until I get home.

Chele 07-08-2008 05:51 PM

I'm still a newbie. I just bring quilt magazines. Now you've inspired me to bring hand quilting, applique, embroidery, etc. Let me know where you guys are parked, I may pop over for a lesson!

DreamXer 07-08-2008 06:10 PM

I found out about ten years ago that in the daylight as a car passenger I can sew. I can't read or even read a map b/c I get terrible motion sickness. I suppose it's bc you can't really read a jiggley book. It seems that when the sewing moves so do the eyes (my theory - lol) so that's okay... To get to Southern Ont is about 3-5 hours depending on where we go... and of that I can sew/stitch about two thirds of the time. When we travel at night, since looking at darkness speeding by is pretty boring, I sleep while DH or the bus driver drives. I'm not allowed to drive :) and that's just fine...
If we had kids, I suppose I wouldn't take a travel kit, but talk to and entertain and referee the little ones...

ddrobins1956 07-09-2008 12:40 PM

I always have a bag ready to go. I usually have at least one knitting project on the go and this is nice for traveling in the car. If I'm going away for more than overnight, then I take my sewing machine, fold up cutting mat, rotary cutter, scissors, thread, pins, seam ripper,etc.
No one ever accused me of traveling light.