Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
RV users  question about flooring? >

RV users question about flooring?

RV users question about flooring?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Has anyone who owns an RV replaced the carpeting with vinyl wood laminate looking flooring? I want to do it in our fifth wheel. Am concerned as we have a small dog and I don't want him to go flying across the floor. Any recommendations or tips?

Kat
Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 PM

We didn't do it, but I know some have. go to www.woodalls.com and join up. There's tons of info there for RVers....it's a forum like this one. We learned so much there.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Kat, I haven't done it but had a carpet layer come in and look at mine to see about having the carpet replaced. My carpet is in fine shape, I'm just tired of the color. He didn't want to mess with it because of the inaccessibility to laying it securely under the lip of the slide outs. I think it might be a job that Camping World or another big camper repair place might have to do. The carpet guy that looked at mine said we would have to remove the slide outs to do the work. I don't know if that's necessary or not but so far I haven't found anyone who wants to try it. Who knows?? Hope you can find someone to do this job for you!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Rose -- he's right -- it's a PITB....That's one of the reasons we got rid of our RV with slides. :) :)

Another place to look is a business that reupholsters boats, etc...they may have a carpet layer or a vinyl installer.

Kat --- if your dog can walk on vinyl at home, shouldn't have a problem in the MH -- unless it's loose while traveling and then I'm not sure even carpet would help!!! I've tried to walk when the RV was moving -- it's a riot -- I staggered like I was drunk! LOL
Old 05-21-2011, 03:53 AM

Whoever you use be sure they understand if the are using nails or staples there are water lines under the floor. Our son purchased a 5th wheel and the owner had laid wood laminate floor and now hubby is trying to find where the water is leaking from. He is sure a nail went in the line some where :-(
Old 05-21-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
We didn't do it, but I know some have. go to www.woodalls.com and join up. There's tons of info there for RVers....it's a forum like this one. We learned so much there.
Amandasgramma! Are you on there too? We use the rv.net part of the same site. Wonderful info is available on those sites. I check in several times a week just to see what's happening.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:23 AM

It has a tendency to be slick for pets. Don't hit the brakes!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:33 AM

IMPORTANT - in a 5th wheel or travel trailers, you nor the dog should be riding in RV while on the road. Most states this is illegible as it is very dangerous.
Carpet can be replace with vinyl, or more carpet. Your carpet layed may not care to tackle an RV. A good carpet person should be able to do the project. Slide out don't make a difference in instalation. In our motorhome, with slides, we replaced carpet. Check out Good Sam's RV web site they have a question and answer section.
PM me if I can help. My husband and I are State Directors for Good Sams in our state.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Thank you for all the info. I guess I should have included more info. We bought our 5th wheel used, had faded carpeting which started out light blue-now a hideous color that makes me feel like throwing up. We don't have any slide outs, so that issue is solved. The reason I want the VINAL "wood laminate look" is because it is lighter weight. Also it floats, so no nails or staples, which would damage the underlayers, plus plumbing, etc. Different companies make vinal strips that attach to each other with an overlap with a sticky strip on them. I really wondered if anyone had done it as I was warned by a man who had done it that they forgot to check on kind that would not cause dogs to go sliding when they tried to walk across it. After doing his he had found out there were some kinds that had slight ridges in it so not so slippery for pets. However he couldn't remember the brand. ( Please note: our dog rides in our truck securely harnessed). So does anyone else who has done it, know of the brand that is good for pets? Thanks in advance.
Kat
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Melody
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Amandasgramma! Are you on there too? We use the rv.net part of the same site. Wonderful info is available on those sites. I check in several times a week just to see what's happening.
Sure am!!!! But haven't been on much in last year or so. We're not traveling as much as before. :) I'm not Amandasgramma there, though