Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilters look at flooring from a different perspective!

Somebody has posted on the Historical Quilts topic that she has been to Sacramento (where the exhibit was) and loved the tile flooring in the state capital bldg.

You know, I do the same thing; I look at patterns in carpets, tiles, linoleum... and think, hmmm, that would be great for a quilt!

Anybody else?

Cathy

Yep, sure do!
    The hotel we stayed at in Hong Kong had AWESOME tile on their floor that would make a great design for a quilt. Did I take a pic of it? Of course not! UGH!

Hah! That is so funny! I find myself analyzing my floors..and now I notice geometry in things- squares, triangles, and all sorts of things I never did before I quilted.

Flooring, etc was my answer the other day when I was asked where I found patterns.

I saw an abstract painting in a restaurant once and drew it out on a napkin and brought home with me. Still have it and will use it someday!

Patterns are every where when you asre a quilter!!!

Ninnie

Some of the best pictures I took in Sacramento were of the floor tiles and the ceilings and wall decorations at the Capitol building. These are the ones I look at more than people! :lol: :lol: Architecture gives me lots of ideas as well. Now, to USE these ideas! :?

Banned
    I did this just the other day at the Woman's Hospital here in Indianapolis. They have a tile floor (marble I think) that is absolutely amazing. It is all shades of beige and brown and different size squares and rectangles that all interlock. I am going to take my digital camera when I go back and get some pictures of it so I can make a similar quilt. :D

I know what you mean. I see quilt blocks everywhere. And the color combos are inspiring sometimes.

I see quilt stuff everywhere...

I sit and analyze everything that has a pattern to it and break it down.

Could it sewn easily? What color combination? ...

I should carry the camera everywhere to photograph all those bits of inspiration so I have them handy. (Memory defies me sometimes...)

I sat at Grandmas funeral last month and during the service I was staring at the stained glass windows thinking what a lovely quilt that would make.

Banned
    there's a quilt book out on the market along with all the paper piece patterns based on the marble floors of italy.

here's the link

http://www.bellabellaquilts.com/home.html

Yes, I've noticed that as well. :wink:

We have some amazing tiles here in Spain and some would make an awesome quilt, only they are a bit on the difficult side for me.

I know what you mean though about analysing patterns where ever you are.

Elle

Klue, thanks for that book about quilt patterns from Italian floors!
    If they are all like the cover, it will be way way beyond my ability. But I sure would enjoy looking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
    Klue, thanks for that book about quilt patterns from Italian floors!
    If they are all like the cover, it will be way way beyond my ability. But I sure would enjoy looking at them.
    If they are paper pieced- you can do it for sure! Paper piecing is so simple. It is almost addictive, and it gets very tempting to want to piece every block this way, as it ensures perfect points on your triangles.

We were at Disneyworld last summer and I went into the bathroom. Awesome floor!! I was going to take a picture but I thought I'd get locked up for taking pictures in the bathroom.

Yep, me too. I've drawn out a tile design from a fast food place, my boss's tie, inlaid floors......

Blog Entries
    I am a miniaturist which most of you know so I am always looking for tiny print and get frustrated as the fabric market gets farther and farther away from tiny anything! Well I went to use the restroom in the Community Hall in Kalona and the floor had the greatest tiny design in it! I'm thinking why can't I find fabric with that design!!
    I wish I could have used that design to make fabric!!
    Then I went into a local Quilt Shop and the owner greeted me and I was telling her about it and she was then telling me about going into a restaurant and doing the same thing!
    I am always telling people I see the world in geometrics! At least now I know I am sane not crazy!! Nice to know!! :mrgreen:

Banned
    the patterns in that book really aren't that difficult. i would say that if you're intermediate you can do those patterns.

i have the book but won't have time to quilt my own projects until after christmas but i've already set aside the fabric to do the 3 of the patterns in the book.

Someday, I will have to ask all of you to teach me paper piecing. I tried it once and found it to be really frustrating so now I'm scared of it.

Banned
    paper piecing is super easy you just have to get over that initial hump. i remember my 1st time and i struggled with the 1st 2 pieces for like an hour - then everything clicked and now i foundation piece all the time.

Speaking of floors reminds me of some post somewhere long ago. The woman was having tile floors laid and she made them lay them PERFECTLY SQUARE so she could lay quilts out on them. :lol:

A few months ago I had the flu and in the time spent in the bathroom, I determined I could make a quilt from the vinyl flooring pattern. Considering I hate vinyl flooring and couldn't afford anything better at the time, I am glad I was poor because I drafted the pattern. Now for the time to make it......

My boys went to a miranda Lamburt concert and these were in the pictures they took! I even have my boys thinking quilts!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    there's a quilt book out on the market along with all the paper piece patterns based on the marble floors of italy.

here's the link

http://www.bellabellaquilts.com/home.html

:evil: You are such an enabler, missy. I just felt my checking account CRY. :cry: :cry:

Those are awesome!! Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast