Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Scary InstaPot dangers - beware! >

Scary InstaPot dangers - beware!

Scary InstaPot dangers - beware!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Scary InstaPot dangers - beware!

The following letter from the makers of InstaPot appeared on my Facbook feed today. I've been curious about this appliance, but have been horrified upon reading this fire danger:

We have received a small number of reports of the Gem 8-in-1 Multicooker overheating, resulting in localized melting damage to the underside of the product. We believe the problem only affects batchcodes 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734, and 1746. To verify the 4-digit batchcode, locate the silver label on the underside of the product. The batchcode is the 4-digit number located at the bottom right of the label. We want you to know that we take any problem with our products extremely serious as safety and quality are our primary concern, and we are working cooperatively with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
We anticipate providing updated information and next steps regarding receiving a replacement Gem 8-in-1 Multicooker within the next few weeks. In the meantime, we are asking all our customers with a Gem 8-in-1 Multicooker from batchcodes 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734, and 1746 to immediately stop use of the product.
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.
Sincerely,

Ronnee S.
Instant Pot Technician
Instant Pot Company,
http://instantpot.com/
Customer Service Tel: +1 800 828-7280 ext 2
Fax: +1 613 800-0726
Old 02-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Jan this is their slow cooker. It is Not the Instant Pot. Same manufacturer different product. Instant pot has been an Amazon best seller. The Facebook page has well over half a million users. No issues reported except people don't like what they cook or don't understand pressure cookers. There were a couple hoax postings but they couldn't be verified or duplicated
Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Jan this is their slow cooker. It is Not the Instant Pot. Same manufacturer different product. Instant pot has been an Amazon best seller. The Facebook page has well over half a million users. No issues reported except people don't like what they cook or don't understand pressure cookers. There were a couple hoax postings but they couldn't be verified or duplicated
Interesting. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM

It is an Instapot. Amazon has pulled it off their website, but here is the 7 in 1. Just one less feature. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-P...1+multi+cooker

Thank you for the heads up, Jan. My 6 quart is a Power XL, not an Instapot.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:35 AM

I have 2 Instant Pots and have had them for 2 years. I use them almost every day. LOVE them. My DH was so worried about me using my old fashioned stove top pressure cooker that he insisted I try this one. (Even though I had used a stove top version for 30+ years). This electric version is so much safer and easy to use. Jan in VA....give it a try!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 AM

My hubby does most of the cooking. He bought one so he could watch the soccer feed until 5 and then have supper on the table at 6. Its great for some things. Anything along the line of soups and stews. It does a wonderful yogurt.
The rest of the food is over cooked, (my humble opinion.) I will never use it. I do the family celebrations food, the comfort food in the oven and the barbecue stuff. Time and love. It works. It's a safe product. But....I will never use it.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
It is an Instapot. Amazon has pulled it off their website, but here is the 7 in 1. Just one less feature. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-P...1+multi+cooker

Thank you for the heads up, Jan. My 6 quart is a Power XL, not an Instapot.
The brand name is Instant Pot. This is basically a multi function slow cooker. It is NOT a pressure cooker like the other Instant Pot cookers.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-P...ds=instant+pot
Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 AM

PS. Spoke to hubby and this is FAKE NEWS already been addressed on line.
Still don't like it.