Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serger

I haver the opportunity to get an serger for free, the thing is that I have several sewing machines two antique singers that work but aren't used and 4 others that are. I want to make sure that the next machine that comes in my cluttered quilting room has a purpose. I have never used a serger and I am relativivly new to quilting. There are some classes offered here at some of the fabric stores in the late fall. I guess my question is can I use in quilting? I know I could use it in my clothes alterations but I want to make sure that it is VERY useful. Any thoughts?

I don't use a serger for quilting, but there is a new book out that tells how you can. I'll look into finding the title.

Thank you, maybe I can get it from the library.

Sergers can be used in some quilts, but would you use it often enough to warrant the space? Probably not...unless you sew garments. I love my serger, but I see no need to use it for quilting. It adds bulk in seams and a serger is probably not going to be your "go to" machine for piecing.

Could you use it for the appliqué pieces?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katastrofy1967
    I don't know how you could use it for applique. I use mine mostly for making fleece blankets for my bed. I use the serger to finish the edges. Nancys Notions has books on serger use. I would check some out before I took the serger. I find using it for quilting as not practical, makes the seams too bulky and basically a waste of a lot of thread.

Blog Entries
    I find a serger to be most useful for making children's clothing -- very valuable for that!

I've made a quilt on my serger, but found that I prefer piecing on a sewing machine. Some quilters use a serger on the cut ends of fabric to prevent raveling during pre-washing. I don't pre-wash, so don't use it for that.

I love my serger,since I am only five feet tall everything I buy has to be cut off and hemed.I also use my serger for putting deco edges on placemats and using the rolled hem on napkins etc. Think of a serger like a big pot or pan in your kitchen every one has a useful job and its there when you needed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katastrofy1967
    No way to use it for applique. However, it can be used for decorative edge stitching. For example, I have seen it used for a denim quilt. Squares were sewn together on a serger using red woolly thread (thick and stretchy stuff); this was the top of the quilt. The serged seams were sewn down with a sewing machine. This would be a lot of fun to do and is a way to make a denim quilt that is not too heavy -- only a single layer of denim. Back side showed seamed denim; front side had the decorative red stitching along the seams.

I love my serger, but I use it mainly for clothing or costumes. I do use it to finish the edges before I put on my binding. Also great for home dec items!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast