Serger

Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 AM

My little serger is so old that Bernina no longer makes it. In fact, I can't get it repaired if something should happen to it since the company doesn't even make the parts anymore! The poor little thing got dropped last year when I was doing a project at the high school. The "button" at the top of the arm which holds the threads coming off the four spools broke off. I tried in vain to get it done, but none of the repair shops around here could handle the job. One of the men who works on Bernina told me that he had one machine like mine that he used for cannibalizing parts. The part I needed was usually the first thing to go on the machine, and he doubted that I would ever find anyone who had the part I needed.

I got out my trusty glue gun and found a big button in my button box and went to work. Believe me, it isn't attractive, but the arms still hold the threads well enough. The little machine still purrs and goes through fabric like it did when it was brand new.

I had wondered at first if I had spent my money too foolishly (it was kind of expensive back then, even at half price), but the little machine just keeps coming in handy for a variety of projects. Find a machine you really like and try to get the best price possible. I think you'll find yourself using it for more than just the one project you have in mind for it.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1034D which is about $200. It is not self threading but not all that complicated with practice. I found some videos on Youtube that walked me through and I've unthreaded and rethreaded a bunch of times til I am comfortable with it. There is an order to the threading but turns out very manageable. You do need good light and a long tweezer helps some. Of course if you want to spend the $$ get a self threader, but don't let lack of that deter you.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I wish you lived close by because I would loan you mine. Ask your friends if anyone would loan you one. I have had mine for over 2 decades and I hardly ever use it except for serging the seams on pillowcases.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM

I also have the Brother 1034D... just bought it as a Christmas present to myself LOL. I have had many sergers over the years, so I can attest to the fact that it's very simple to use, even though it doesn't have a lot of the "bells and whistles" that the higher-priced sergers have. I think it's a very good value. Bought mine from Amazon.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:45 AM

I also have the Brother 1034D. Have had it for about 4 years now and I use it a good amount. I like that it's simple, easy to thread, and stitches well. I have no complaints whatsoever.