Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Serger

Serger

I am planning to make some surgical caps and am thinking about buying a Serger, I have no experience with using a Serger. I see that Hancocks has a Janome 7933 that is on sale for a very good price. Anyone have this one? If you do, do you have any advice about this machine?

I don't have that brand of serger. However, I hope whatever brand and where ever you buy your serger, make sure they give you free classes! Do your best as I consider this a must.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Power Poster
    If possible go for self threading serger.

I have a Babylock Eclipse with the air self threading and love it. Do get lessons as their operation is quite different in many respects from using a sewing machine but once you have one you'll be delighted. I can imagine surgical caps being a whizz to run up using an overlocker/serger (you lot call them sergers; over here we call them overlockers).

Blog Entries
    I have the Babylock Ovation and love it and the air threading but they are expensive. I also have a Viking that is new, I bought it on sale at a price I couldn't say no to and then a month later met the Ovation. Knowing I can sell if for the price I paid I got the Ovation. If interested pm me. If its just doing the edges of the fabric, check you machines's settings. Sometimes some of the machines have stitches that mimick the sergers. I agree with others, especially being new, get classes. Some machines are finicky, you have to thread them in a certain order and have tensions to contend with. Another reason why I liked the Viking and Ovation, no thread tensions to worry about, its automatic. Classes are a must. I have learned so much and can make full garments, table runners, quilts, etc on a serger now.
    Judy

I have Babylock Imagine ( self threading ) and love it.

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome serger that is similar to this one. For my purposes it is just fine, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but I don't need them. It is easy to thread. This seems like a good price for a well built machine. Make sure you take lessons as using a serger is quite different from a sewing machine and they can do so many things. I am happy with my machine. BTW- I used to make my own OR caps too with my old Huskylock serger.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
    I can imagine surgical caps being a whizz to run up using an overlocker/serger (you lot call them sergers; over here we call them overlockers).
    You call it run up, we call it whip up.

I love learning new languages...

My 2 cents....if you are not sure about how much you will actually use it beyond the project you have in mind....buy a low priced one. I hear good things about the Brother 7034 or whatever the number. I should have bought that one because i bought the Janome for $900 . Love it but the reality for me and the lack of time to use it, i should have not spent the money. I prefer to piece quilts and make bags, etc. It is a time to use it issue for me.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If possible go for self threading serger.
    I have a self threading serger (Babylock Imagine). & I love it. Self threading sergers are much more $$ so make sure you will use it for other projects otherwise I would suggest getting a cheaper one BUT make sure you get VERY comfortable with threading it because it can get frustrating threading the loopers. I think Janome now also makes a self threading serger. Love my serger & I use mine a lot.
    Dance like no one is watching

My little serger is so old that Bernina no longer makes it. In fact, I can't get it repaired if something should happen to it since the company doesn't even make the parts anymore! The poor little thing got dropped last year when I was doing a project at the high school. The "button" at the top of the arm which holds the threads coming off the four spools broke off. I tried in vain to get it done, but none of the repair shops around here could handle the job. One of the men who works on Bernina told me that he had one machine like mine that he used for cannibalizing parts. The part I needed was usually the first thing to go on the machine, and he doubted that I would ever find anyone who had the part I needed.

I got out my trusty glue gun and found a big button in my button box and went to work. Believe me, it isn't attractive, but the arms still hold the threads well enough. The little machine still purrs and goes through fabric like it did when it was brand new.

I had wondered at first if I had spent my money too foolishly (it was kind of expensive back then, even at half price), but the little machine just keeps coming in handy for a variety of projects. Find a machine you really like and try to get the best price possible. I think you'll find yourself using it for more than just the one project you have in mind for it.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

I have the Brother 1034D which is about $200. It is not self threading but not all that complicated with practice. I found some videos on Youtube that walked me through and I've unthreaded and rethreaded a bunch of times til I am comfortable with it. There is an order to the threading but turns out very manageable. You do need good light and a long tweezer helps some. Of course if you want to spend the $$ get a self threader, but don't let lack of that deter you.
    Alyce

I wish you lived close by because I would loan you mine. Ask your friends if anyone would loan you one. I have had mine for over 2 decades and I hardly ever use it except for serging the seams on pillowcases.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I also have the Brother 1034D... just bought it as a Christmas present to myself LOL. I have had many sergers over the years, so I can attest to the fact that it's very simple to use, even though it doesn't have a lot of the "bells and whistles" that the higher-priced sergers have. I think it's a very good value. Bought mine from Amazon.

I also have the Brother 1034D. Have had it for about 4 years now and I use it a good amount. I like that it's simple, easy to thread, and stitches well. I have no complaints whatsoever.