Sewing machine issue

Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Sewing machine issue

My grand daughter and I are going to a quilt retreat next weekend! Yeah! However the machine I had planned for her to take has an issue. It is an Elna computer club machine made in the mid to late '80's sews beautiful and has a speed control so she can feel comfortable sewing on it. The problem is you are sewing and take your foot off the go pedal and it just keeps on sewing. A new control foot costs over $200.00 and is out of the question. Any suggestions or help there are no elna dealers around this area any more.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I had the same problem with my Bernina foot control. I replaced the foot because it was a sealed unit. Is there a way to open the Elna foot and see if it just needs cleaning? Take pictures as you disassemble it so you can put it back together later.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:39 PM

Put the question to the vintage group. Someone may have an idea.
Does it have an on off switch on the machine front. If so use this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:27 AM

Sounds like it might just be stuck....maybe a little WD40
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM

This happened to a Janome I had....Elna, same machine...You can take the pedal apart...but you have to do it carefully.
I did. I unscrewed it, took it apart on a white bath towel so any screws would fall onto it. If you move anything else inside to get the lint out, (I used a little brush)...take a picture of what you are removing and from where..... it is pretty simple. If you have had the pedal on a carpet or you have pets...it is probably fuzz or pet hair. My worked fine after removing the lint. If you have another Elna, New Home or Janome pedal, they would fit. I wouldn't spend $200 on a machine that is 34 years old, unless it was a Singer FW. Best wishes and what fun, sharing with your granddaughter. I know you will have a great time.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 AM

This is a great subject for me--my favorite machine--all time favorite--is an Elna bought in 1986, never seen the face of a repairman--but it does do this to me occasionally. Should I just continue to catch it with the flywheel, or should I attempt the take-apart of the foot pedal. Even though I have never spent any money for repairs to this machine, I can't stand the thought of paying $200 for a foot pedal that supposedly no longer available. Decisions, decisions, decisions......
Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 AM

I have 2 Elnas and have not had this problem - yet. Hopefully I never will but was really interested in this information so just in case.....

Love the tip about taking it apart on a towel!

This board rocks!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM

Well every thing I have touched lately breaks so I will try to get a friend to take it apart for me and I know that I can get a replacement cord for it on line for around $20.00 so that will be the route I take. Thank you for all of your responses I can hardly wait for our quilt retreat.