Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing machine trouble - vintage WHITE 764 >

Sewing machine trouble - vintage WHITE 764

Sewing machine trouble - vintage WHITE 764

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Sewing machine trouble - vintage WHITE 764

I don't know if I'm posting this on the correct board or not.

I just picked up a vintage White 764 sewing machine today (craigslist) She's a beauty. I have a huge issue I need help with however. When I plug it in, it's already sewing, needle going up and down, full speed. This happens when I plug it in to the knee control, and when I plug it into an extension cord directly. I am hoping this is a simple problem to correct. Any ideas? (Also, does anyone have a manual for this machine? If so, I'd be happy to buy a copy of yours! Let me know. Thanks to all.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229170.jpe  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 PM

THAT is a COOL machine!! I want one! :lol:

Here is your manual:
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...hite-764-x.pdf

You have a contact issue with your controller. I'm not sure how to tell you how to fix it, but I'm betting someone will!! (My 201 did that too...but William fixed it)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Are there two outlets to plug into? My Admiral did this. I reversed the power cord and the foot pedal and it was fine.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM

My idea was that it sounds like the speed controller is sticking. I'm sure you have checked that, but if not I would make sure there is no gumminess around it. But I also think the person who said there are two ways to plug it in has a good idea.I know thats how it is on one of my machines.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Hi, I have a White 763 (which is the same machine only straight stitch only). FYI it's also called the My Fair Lady Machines because they debuted at the World Fair;>

Anyway, there should be a motor plug and a light plug. If you put the motor cord into the light plug it will run constantly like you've stated. You should have a dual outlet with this machine marked "light" and "motor" and it sounds like you've got the cords switched. You can PM me to help if need be. I love my 763 for it's awesome straight stitch. Great line.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 AM

Good morning everyone!
I haven't even had my coffee yet... I had to get back here. Before I logged in, it hit me.... I think I got the outlets mixed up, and I need to switch them. I haven't made my way to the sewing room to check it out yet... but that's GOT to be it! Yes.. I'm a ding ding! (that's what we call dingalings around here) LOL. I'll let you know later... after I have my coffee. Oh if I would just think upon these things a little longer. tee hee.... oh well. But if I did that, I wouldn't have googled my issue... and I wouldn't have found this board!... and all you super sweet people!

CHARLEE! Thank you for the manual!!!! I really appreciate that!!!

So I'll be back to let you know how it worked out. I did notice I'm missing the bobbin shuttle too... but I think I can swipe one from another machine I have. I think..... man, I just want to take her for a test drive!!!

Candace: I love to hear that you love your 763! Does my 764 have a nickname?

See ya'll later.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Boy do I feel dumb! I had the plugs into the wrong outlets on the sewing desk. Problem solved. Must of been the heat yesterday.... yeah, that's it.. LOL Thanks again for everything.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful machine! Love it's design :D:D:D
Happy to hear it was an easy fix :wink:
Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by stedfast
Boy do I feel dumb! I had the plugs into the wrong outlets on the sewing desk. Problem solved. Must of been the heat yesterday.... yeah, that's it.. LOL Thanks again for everything.
No problem. I occasionally put them in the wrong plug, too. That's why I knew exactly what you were doing!

Yes, both of our models are nicknamed "White Fair Lady". You can google it, there are a few websites about it, I believe.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for sharing that. I love to learn about the history behind these old machines. Now I just need the hook shuttle!! One of these days i'll get to sew!