Shipping my machines

Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Default Shipping my machines

I am getting ready to move cross-country (TX to VA) and need to figure how how to ship my machines. Do I trust the moving company to pack the machines and ship with the rest of my things or do I make separate arrangements? I still have the original box for my embroidery machine but not for the other machines, including a Fairly expensive (at least to me) sewing machine as well as a smaller embroidery machine. UPS will charge over $125 to pack, ship, and insure the most expensive machine and somewhat less for the smaller. Have any of you entrusted your machines to a long distance mover? Do I really need to go to the expense of separate shipping? What do you think?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM

You can't take them with you by car?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:54 PM

I had my machine shipped from Germany to the States many years ago, arrived just fine. I've also had them shipped from KY to IN to TX and never had a problem. The professional movers we have had have always done a good job. When we moved back to KY, however, as we were driving one car and towing another one, we rented a truck and brought our computers, guns, sewing machines, etc, back with us.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
You can't take them with you by car?
I would carry mine in the car with me rather than worry the whole day as to whether the movers are treating them with appropriate care. You need to reduce your stress level on that day.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:06 AM

I've shipped my Bernina (I have the original box) from Canada to Panama (truck, train, sea) and from Panama to Pakistan. The international moving companies were great - no issues at all. Our entire shipment was fully insured (containers have fallen off ships on rough seas...). I had some separation anxiety, but it gets easier with each move.
I moved my machine once myself, put it in the trunk of the car. Bad move, the motherboard had to be replaced.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I have always carried my Bernina. If that can't be done, I would check into the companies that will carefully pack your machine and ship it.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:15 AM

DO NOT USE UPS ! I SHIPPED TWO MACHINES BY THEM...BOTH DAMAGED.....when I filed the claim..I got, "lady no sewing machine is worth $5,000. wHAT? I ASKED THE JERK how he would like it if I took his laptop and tossed it to the tarmack from one of their planes. We had the boxes MARKED FRAGILE. The regional UPS claims manger said it doesn't matter what you mark on the box becuase they go end over end 3 or 4 times, about thE only time they pay half way attention is if the box is marked GLASS. TAKE IN YOUR CAR OR TRUST YOUR OVERLAND MOVERS. Once the truck is packed, it stays that way until it reaches your new home. I travel between states, I take mine in the car, only ship seasonal clothing via FedEx NEVER UPS.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Wow, thanks for the responses. Taking the machines in the car would take up nearly all the space. The embroidery machine in the original box is very large and packing the sewing machine would require an equally large box. Even the two smaller machines would require a fair amount of space. (We are driving a mid size SUV). So that really isn't an option. The UPS guy didn't blink when I told him each of the larger machines cost around $5000 but said, although they treat all packages with care, to be safe it should be insured so the machines would be handled with extra care. I thought that was rather amusing. Oh, he also said he would have to repackage the embroidery machine (which is in its original box) or they couldn't insure/guarantee its safety. I find that unsettling since Brother ships in those boxes with good results. I guess I am going to need to talk with the movers some more. I wish this move was over!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 AM

We are moving from California to Florida in 3 weeks. We are using Atlas Van Lines. They are packing all my machines, the 10 needle embroidery machine weighs 92 pounds, it is $400. for them to pack. They will be building a crate for it, the smaller machines range from $34. up to $137. The thing to remember is if they pack it, they unpack it and it is insured for full replacement value. That is if you buy insurance, we did and got the $500. deductible plan. They are also packing 3 flat screen LED TV's, the biggest is 70 inches. Those are $600. for all three. So when you figure in the cost of packing and what the item is worth or would cost to replace I think it's a deal. Most homeowners insurance will not cover your items because they are not in your home or your vehicle, you have given hem to someone else temporarily. I thought about taking my machines in the car but then I'd worry if someone broke into it while parked at a hotel or someplace or if the car broke down then what??
Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Unless you have no other choice but to ship them I would like to see what they plan on doing to pack them properly. If I had other choices, I would take them with me in my car which I know is not always possible, depending on the move. Good luck with your move.