Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silk Fabric

What do you do with silk fabric as far as making things out of it.I was given some silk fabric months ago and it is stuck in a box i walk by every day..........I will either use it or out it goes...ideas please

I don't really know how to work with silk. I know it tends to ravel a lot. I saw a beautiful quilt, all silk, appliqued flowers, last summer at the Shipshewana quilt show. The maker had gotten all the varied silk fabrics from used clothing at shops like Good Will.

It's great for small pieces in crazy quilts! I recently saw a member here that made some silk wall hangings that were absolutely awesome. Use em and have fun!

Here in The Netherlands we have silk cushions. I don't know how much silk you have, but maybe is it an option.

Blog Entries
    I love silks and satins.. I do bridal alterations and work with it daily. You can quilt some pillows, make flowers out of it. Quilt table runners, crazy quilts...Wall hangings. embellish. Possibilties are endless............ : )

Thanks for all the great ideas.........

Silk is a very slippery/stretchy fabric to work with, especially if it is cut on the bias-like silk from men's ties...you may want to do foundation piecing to make it easier to work with. I made a vest for my dad years ago out of the ties my mom had made for him. My dad wore it for many years, and even my mom wore it. I have a collection of silk fabrics from a tie factory that I still want to make a quilt from, but have to decide on a pattern.
    If you decide not to use them yourself, I would think you could find someone else that would....either selling them or giving them away.

SELL IT TO ME!!!! :)

LMB
    I make quilts out of it. No kidding, flannel backed quilts and are they beautiful!

Hi, I am new to quilting. I would like to ask about backing on silk? When I paint the silk, I iron it onto white butcher paper which holds it steady and easily removes after the dye or paint dries. I get it from Dharmatrading.com. They have directions on their site. I want to try quilting some of the large wall pieces, but I am not sure what is the best backing. Ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast