Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I don't know what to do HELP!!!!

  1. #1
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,996
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am going to look at a Singer 301 and now the lady told me I could get a singer 401 both are $100.00 Now I am not sure with one to get!!!

  2. #2
    pebbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18
    I have both and would take both if $ was not a problem. The Singer 301 (vertical bobbin like FW) is my go to machine. 401(horizontal bobbin) has tons of decorative stitches but is sometimes gunked up so be ready to work on it. This also depends on what you want this machine for. Piecing and fmq---301. The 401 is a tank, I do walking foot quilting with mine, big quilts. Have fun, whatever you choose.

  3. #3
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,689
    Boy that is a problem!! I just got a 403A and every time I see or hear about them 'its' WoW this or WoW that!!! the 403A have a small flip up lid on top that you put ' black cams' inside, the cams make it do other stiches. I don't know what a 301 or 401 looks like or the diffrence between the two machines but they may use 'black cams' too! If so I got more cams on ebay. good luck wish I was more help! 8-)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    996
    If you have the budget for it, buy both. I would.

  5. #5
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,689
    ME again! try and see if you can GET both machines!! for say $150 then go up to $175 if you can spend the $$$ after what 'pebbles' said mite be good to have both!!

  6. #6
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles
    I have both and would take both if $ was not a problem. The Singer 301 (vertical bobbin like FW) is my go to machine. 401(horizontal bobbin) has tons of decorative stitches but is sometimes gunked up so be ready to work on it. This also depends on what you want this machine for. Piecing and fmq---301. The 401 is a tank, I do walking foot quilting with mine, big quilts. Have fun, whatever you choose.
    HI, 'pebbles' ? the 401 does it do the stiches with 'cams' I have a 403a it uses cams.
    8-)

  7. #7
    Super Member Country1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,476
    If money allows I would take both.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,592
    Blog Entries
    14
    Let us know what u get!

  9. #9
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,996
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well I broke down and got both, hubby did not say a word. Now I can not spend for another 6 months. Have not bougth any fabric in the last 6 months. So it is going to be hard
    :x

  10. #10
    Super Member MellieKQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles
    I have both and would take both if $ was not a problem. The Singer 301 (vertical bobbin like FW) is my go to machine. 401(horizontal bobbin) has tons of decorative stitches but is sometimes gunked up so be ready to work on it. This also depends on what you want this machine for. Piecing and fmq---301. The 401 is a tank, I do walking foot quilting with mine, big quilts. Have fun, whatever you choose.
    HI, 'pebbles' ? the 401 does it do the stiches with 'cams' I have a 403a it uses cams.
    8-)
    THe 401 has built in Cams.

  11. #11
    Super Member piepatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    Well I broke down and got both, hubby did not say a word. Now I can not spend for another 6 months. Have not bougth any fabric in the last 6 months. So it is going to be hard
    :x
    Glad you were able to get both. I don't have the 301, but I know it is a good one. I have the 401, and I love it.

  12. #12
    Super Member crafty pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    5,730
    I bought my 401A new in 1958. It had been around the world with me a few times as a Army wife and all over the US. I have a brother also one year old I always turn to my 401A would never let her get away. Love her.

  13. #13
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Glad you got both!! You KNOW you made the right decision LOL
    Post pics!! :D
    I LOVE my 301- don't have the other one you bought.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.