Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't know what I don't know >

I don't know what I don't know

I don't know what I don't know

Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default I don't know what I don't know

My sewing machine wouldn't use 40 wt. thread. It kept breaking after 10 seconds. Time after time. I had to change to 50 wt. cones. I wrote about it here. I wrote about it on the Bernina board. It went on for 2 1/2 years. I kept asking about it and complaining about my machine for 2 1/2 years. I quit using spools and used only 50 wt. cones.

Yesterday I took my machine to my dealer because it was clacking and the screen said to take it to the dealer. Well, I had not used it in 3 weeks! I told him, "Watch, it will work fine for you." He plugged it in and it worked fine for him. Why do things do that?

I told him about the thread. He asked what size needle I had in. I said 80. He said "no, no. You need 100 for 40 wt." He put in a 100 needle and put in some 40 wt. thread and it SEWED on my machine like nobody's business!!

It was because I was using the wrong size needle and I never knew that! Boy, do I feel like a dummy! I've been on this board a long time, but I don't recall reading about the bigger needle for the smaller wt. thread. I'm sure it's been written, but I must have overlooked it!

Anyway, today I am setting up my trusty machine and starting on Jenny Doan's Big Block Star Quilt. I am making 2 King quilts. I ordered 4 of her layer cakes she used in her YouTube video. And I bought 3 yards of cream for the background. I have been ready to go forever!!!

I'm sure everyone else knew about putting a bigger needle (100) in a smaller wt (40) thread. But, in case you don't, know you do, just like me. It has changed my life!!!! Truly!

Last edited by jcrow; 12-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

the lower the thread number the thicker the thread... thus a larger-eyed needle is needed
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

here is some good information from Superior Threads
https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ad-is-measured
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

..."It was because I was using the wrong size needle and I never knew that! Boy, do I feel like a dummy! I've been on this board a long time, but I don't recall reading about the bigger needle for the smaller wt. thread. I'm sure it's been written, but I must have overlooked it!"...
Thread weights go in reverse order, so the 40 weight is actually thicker than the 50, so bigger thread, bigger needle.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Just curious - are you using a 40 wt thread to piece? If so - why, you do not need a thread that thick for piecing. It is great for doing work on top that will show - buttonhole stitch, decorative stitch, et. I think the standard for piecing is 50 wt.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Just curious - are you using a 40 wt thread to piece? If so - why, you do not need a thread that thick for piecing. It is great for doing work on top that will show - buttonhole stitch, decorative stitch, et. I think the standard for piecing is 50 wt.
However, 40 wt works just fine for piecing if that's what you have or what you choose to use. Let's not make personal choice rules for others, shall we?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM

I didn't know that, or the wt of sewing thread , thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I like using a 50 wt. thread for piecing, but a 40 wt. for appliqueing. And when I very seldom do bindings by machine. And I'm thinking, just thinking about machine quilting some small quilts, just checking to see if I can even do it and even like it. I see in magazines how customized their quilts are and I would like to be able to do that. I have BSR on my machine, so I am set up for machine quilting and need some confidence and practice.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Milli View Post
I didn't know that, or the wt of sewing thread , thanks for the info.

Ditto!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the great info.