Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sink in kitchen island or not..debate with DH >

Sink in kitchen island or not..debate with DH

Sink in kitchen island or not..debate with DH

Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 PM

I agree with no sink in island, have personnally had one and did not like it!! Put it under a window if you have one or put a mirror above the sink if you just have wall space, that way you can see those onry ones sneaking up behind you!!! LOL!!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM

I'm another one for a sink-free island - that's what I have and it works wonderfully for baking, food prep, buffets, and quilt basting or crafting. My daughter has a sink in her island and it really breaks up the island space.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:03 PM

No sink in the island. We've had about 35 houses in our 33 year marriage, and have had islands both ways. Use granite for your top - basically indestructible, easy maintenance. I use the island for everything from food prep to serving. Not only that, it makes a wonderful fabric cutting "table". If there was a sink in the way, that would cramp my style!!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 PM

We had this choice to make and I chose not to have a sink in the island. Nothing at all on the island, in fact. I love it and am so glad. I wanted my sink situated so I could look out the window when I'm at it. I know some have an extra sink but I'm not that fancy.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Why take away from a great cutting surface? No sink. I vote for loads of storage drawers in that island too!

sandy
I agree with this too. All of my regular depth lower cabinets have drawers, except for under the sink and a pull out trash. I love having lots of drawers (even my pots and pans are stored in drawers).
Old 10-27-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My sons new house has the sink in the bar/island. It bar faces the family room but it is in 2 heights. The sink is in the lower level with the dishwasher beside it and a cupboard. The front facing the room is about 12 inches higher and has bar stools. It is super. You can't see the sink from the family room but my daughter in law can enjoy what is going on in the room and the dirty dishes/counter are no visible to others in the room. They love it.
DH & I tried to buy a house with this sort of layout. It looked really nice, even when imagining it full of dirty dishes. It was sort of a wedge-shaped island with the long curved side being seating. I liked it - in this particular house, the person doing dishes would have a full view of almost the entire lower level of the house and a view out of some floor-to-ceiling windows. Seemed very social and convenient. We got outbid on that house, though.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 AM

I like to look out of my window as I do dishes. I, like others, would say leave the island for setting out the chips and dip or dinner or to just gather round.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 AM

So here is my 2 cents,

It really depends on how the rest of your kitchen going to be set up. Where is the stove, fridge,and dishwasher? The best set ups are in a triangle pattern to allow for easy access, with few steps between. I know we all want our counter tops to do double duty but in my opinion your kitchen needs to be set up for what is most logical for the person doing the majority of the cooking and cleaning. Hopefully you can then find a way to make it work for everything else you want it to do.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 AM

I use my island for baking, buffet type dinners, pumpkin decorating with the grandkids and cutting fabric. I don't want a sink or a cook top there. I like the big counter space to work on.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I say NOT in the island. Take the prep away from where you want to eat or lay out the feast...or sit and read the paper while someone is cooking.

What is your opinion?
I agree with you. We have the cooktop on one side of our kitchen island. If I had it to do over, I would have put it in the counter along the wall instead. It takes too much space away from the island.