Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sink in kitchen island or not..debate with DH

Sink in kitchen island or not..debate with DH

I say NOT in the island. Take the prep away from where you want to eat or lay out the feast...or sit and read the paper while someone is cooking.

What is your opinion?

For all your reasons... Double sink, NOT on the island. Mostly because we use ours to serve buffet style on it and the sink would be in the way (or full of dirty utensils or dishes).

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    i dont want the sink in the island because there would be too many dirty dishes always in sight. and we gather all the way around ours because the family is large when they all come to visit
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have an island with my cooktop on it. It is a small island and there was simply no room for a small, bar type, prep sink. Many times as I have been cooking, I wish I had the small sink, so I didn't have to walk away from something cooking to go rinse veggies or pour some hot water out of a pot.

I would never put a large double sink on the island. I don't want to do dishes there, but I do want to be a part of the family while I am cooking, which before, my cooktop faced the back wall and I was NEVER a part of anything when all the family (anywhere from 15 to 45) gathered for a family dinner. Now, 4 of them can sit at the bar, I can talk to the ones sitting at the table, or newcomers as they come into the kitchen/dining area. Cooking goes on and life is good. I do use the other side of my island for setting out food, and a lot of times, family, will push the food bowls & plates back and sit at the island to eat, anyway.

Additional note: It's amazing what grandchildren will tell you while you are cooking.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-25-2014 at 04:53 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Oh, I vote for two sinks, one in the island. But my island didn't have a seating area. I had the big cleanup sink on the island and a small copper sink in a black walnut butcher-board countertop. The tree came from the back year when we cleared some of the property. If you are going to have seating, I would use the island for prep, maybe put the coffeepot there, but not a place for dirty dishes or grease spatters. I didn't put the stovetop in the island because I think it would have been too much trouble to clean and I don't trust the big fans to suck up all the airborne grease. I stuck it on a wall, sandwiched between two full-length wall cabinets with a small counter with drawers under on each side, and the updraft fan over there. We moved, and I so miss that kitchen.
    Good luck with your renovation.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Power Poster
    My sons new house has the sink in the bar/island. It bar faces the family room but it is in 2 heights. The sink is in the lower level with the dishwasher beside it and a cupboard. The front facing the room is about 12 inches higher and has bar stools. It is super. You can't see the sink from the family room but my daughter in law can enjoy what is going on in the room and the dirty dishes/counter are no visible to others in the room. They love it.

I say not! I love my kitchen island for family buffets. It's perfect because everyone can walk around it helping themselves. I have even made quilts the size of the top to handle the heated plates. I've used my sink for simple ice chest.

The one who does the most prep work, cooking and the clean up should be the one who decides.

Blog Entries
    sometimes it is difficult to put the plumbing way over to the island. your floor may have to be destroyed to do that. So another thing to think about.

My island stayed sink free during remodel. I don't want anything on/in the island because I use it for everything and want that surface to be able to be free for whatever.
    Alyce

Why take away from a great cutting surface? No sink. I vote for loads of storage drawers in that island too!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

something I never thought about but then I don't have an island ... or room for one. Lots of great suggestions here! Makes me wish I could remodel my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    The one who does the most prep work, cooking and the clean up should be the one who decides.
    I'll second this motion
    I have a sink and a half in the peninsula counter hoping to get help with the dishes. Didn't work.
    Would like to move sink to under window where it used to be but issue of money and how long we stay in this house. Otherwise this kitchen is great ... Been this way for 25 years and really still very happy with everything ... Even the sink location.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I vote not in the island. We had a house that had a large island with nothing on it and I LOVED it! I could use it as a serving area for a buffet, but I especially loved it when I baked because I could clear it off and have a huge platform for rolling out or doing cookies or whatever. It was wonderful. I miss that kitchen...sigh.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

I have a small house, kitchen and island. Nothing in the island top. I use it as an extension to my counters. Cabinets underneath. Adds more usable space to a small kitchen.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have a well laid out kitchen. The sink is at right angles to the stove and the island is right across from the sink. I just remodeled and did not put a sink in the island. Like PABerard, we use ours to serve buffets and the sink would be in the way. Also, it would entail a lot of extra expense to put the piping in for a sink in the island (one of the reasons that contractors recommend them). I have no problem taking scrap the 2 steps to the sink or trash compactor and enjoy having more island space and a good place to serve buffets from.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I second what cash's-mom said

Blog Entries
    A small round sink in an island can be an excellent addition for meal prep (not for washing up!)
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

My island is at an angle and comes out from a wall. I have a sink nearest the wall. I prep and eat at the other end with no problems. When I 1st bought this house and knew I would use the island for prep work so had the electrician add a plug strip under the far end so I could plug in any appliance I needed to use. It has worked out well for me. Never had an island in a kitchen before.

This is a double sink.

Also have a desk built into the wall nearest the patio doors and noticed a plug strip along the wall. This works well for plugging in our cell phones, tablets, etc. I don't particularly care for having a desk in the kitchen but as there is a baseboard heater under neath, I can see why they didn't add more cabinets below.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have a peninsula which is table height, not counter height. It was put there for kneading bread and such. Works great for rolling out stuff, too. My double sink is against the wall, but when we have a buffet meal, we line up the food from the smooth top stove, over the sink, across the counter and then down to the peninsula. The sink has a fitted cutting board which fits over one bowl and acts like more counter space. The longer the buffet line is, the faster you can go through it. People aren't standing in front of three bowls of food while others wait.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

My double sink is in my island, but the island is ten feet long, so there is plenty of room for buffet style serving, sitting with the laptop on one end, seating, so it just depends on how long your island will be
    Pat

My daughters and I, all have islands in our kitchen. One daughter has sink and "bar" with stools set up. Mine is just plain counter top, nothing else. Other daughter has a beautiful stone top with sink and buffet area with "bar" set up (can sit at the counter). They come to my house when they have projects because "It's easier at your house"! Nothing in the way, I even baste my quilts on my islands, among other things. All sorts of projects have been done at my island including Thanksgiving and Christmas buffets. NO SINK!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I also use my island to lay out my quilts for basting the top and bottom together. A sink would be in the way

Blog Entries
    No sink/bar etc. Islands must stay clear for pinning of quilts.

I love my island for buffets, family gatherings and occasionally a space for cutting up fabric No sink in the island!
    Barb

No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to...Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast