Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I have an island with my cooktop on it. It is a small island and there was simply no room for a small, bar type, prep sink. Many times as I have been cooking, I wish I had the small sink, so I didn't have to walk away from something cooking to go rinse veggies or pour some hot water out of a pot.

I would never put a large double sink on the island. I don't want to do dishes there, but I do want to be a part of the family while I am cooking, which before, my cooktop faced the back wall and I was NEVER a part of anything when all the family (anywhere from 15 to 45) gathered for a family dinner. Now, 4 of them can sit at the bar, I can talk to the ones sitting at the table, or newcomers as they come into the kitchen/dining area. Cooking goes on and life is good. I do use the other side of my island for setting out food, and a lot of times, family, will push the food bowls & plates back and sit at the island to eat, anyway.

Additional note: It's amazing what grandchildren will tell you while you are cooking.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-25-2014 at 04:53 AM.