Soap for Leg Cramps

Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Read the Soap for Leg Cramps topics so decided to look it up.

This is what I found:

Soap to Cure Leg Cramps
X Cindi PearceCindi Pearce is a graduate of Ohio University, where she received her bachelor’s degree in journalism. She completed both the undergraduate and graduate courses offered by the Institute of Children’s Literature. Pearce has been writing professionally for over 30 years.
By Cindi Pearce, eHow Contributor
?
.There appears to be enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that putting a bar of soap under your bed sheet will prevent you from having nighttime leg cramps. Sounds crazy, of course, but what have you got to lose, especially if it works and eliminates the painful cramps, allowing you to sleep peacefully. You may be a skeptic but if your leg cramps are bad enough that they are waking you up at night, grab a bar of soap and try this technique.

Theories/Speculation
One theory is that bar soap has sodium in it, including sodium chloride---which is salt---just as Gator Aid does. Gator Aid consumption helps curb cramps. According to Healthdiaries.com, the electrolytes from the sodium in the soap may in fact enter your skin through the bottom of your feet. The increase in electrolytes in your body may reduce the incidence of cramping. Electrolytes can be lost through sweating or too much urination, which occurs if you take water pills (diuretics.)
Another Possibility
Another theory is that the soap absorbs excess C02 that is in our body. Too much C02 may cause our muscles to cramp.
Expert Insight
Dr. Peter H. Gott, author of "Live Longer, Live Better," is a general internist who has been practicing in Connecticut for more than 40 years. He writes a daily column that is syndicated by the Newspaper Enterprise Association. He recommends using the soap technique although he doesn't know how it works; only that it does. Don't use Dove or Dial, according to Dr. Gott. Put the bar of soap under the bottom sheet in the area where your legs and feet will be resting.
Recommendations
Some individuals who have successfully tried this technique note that the soap has to be Ivory whereas others say it doesn't matter what kind you use. The bar of soap should be replaced once a month. Others recommend that you actually rub the soap on your legs before going to bed to prevent cramps. Some choose to sleep with the soap under their pillow if they are having aches and pains in the upper area of their body. There are claims that the soap method also helps quell rheumatoid arthritis pains. Those suffering from restless leg syndrome have also found relief by using this technique, notes Dr. Gott.
Placebo Effect
It could be that the soap approach simply has a placebo effect, meaning if you believe in the soap method and think it is going to work, that's what makes it work. Even if it is placebo effect, what's wrong with that? Getting rid of your cramps was the hoped for outcome, and if you've achieved that who cares how crazy the soap idea seems.

More to come. Fibromalgia pain.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

So strange, but if it works for whatever reason--Go for it!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 AM

FWIW, Ivory is *real* soap versus "beauty bars", so making a distinction for that brand makes sense, but I dunno about the rest.

Not all soap has sodium chloride in it, but I believe Ivory does add it as a hardener...
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 AM

now why aren't scientists doing research on this??
Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 AM

thanks for the information.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
And maybe they are!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
well the ones who do research on things that help pain are usually pharmaceutical companies. If they have a choice between selling thousands of dollars of pain meds/NSAIDS or telling people to use a bar of soap.......

I use a homeopathic for restless legs and take cal/mag before bed if I need something for leg cramps. Better than the flexeril the doc gave me and no hangover the next morning. but I sure will try soap
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 AM

I tried it last night and it worked. The sensation I felt was amazing. When I first went to bed, my feet were cold. I put them about a foot from the bar of Irish Spring soap, within seconds I could feel a warming sensation. I could feel the blood circulation in my feet. I have a tendency to stick my feet out from under the covers and when I did, my toes started to cramp and my bad leg started to ache. I put my foot back under the covers and the cramping went away, almost immediately. Needless to say, I kept my feet under the covers all the rest of the night. I also have a tendency to retain fluids in my feet and ankles overnight. When I got up this morning, there was no bloating and my feet were nice and pink and looked about normal size.

I cannot believe that is psychological action on my part otherwise, where did the bloat go?

The only thing I noticed was that usually I need to use the bathroom one time per night. Last night I Had to use it about every 2 hours. Is that where the bloat went?

If I have anymore results during the day, I will write another letter.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 AM

Hello damaquilts

I read your letter re: medication for Leg Cramps. I have a problem with medication. Dr. Recently gave me meds for high chlosterol. When I took it, I had a very bad reaction to it. Seems my body reacts to anything unnatural that I feed it. That medication Xetia Caused me to have memory loss, and body aches that you wouldn't believe. After 3 doses, I stopped taking it and now seems to be back to normal, minus the symptums .

I have had similar reactions with other meds. Must be very careful about putting anything artificial into my body.

Is there anyone else who has unnatural reactions to medication?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Hello damaquilts

I read your letter re: medication for Leg Cramps. I have a problem with medication. Dr. Recently gave me meds for high chlosterol. When I took it, I had a very bad reaction to it. Seems my body reacts to anything unnatural that I feed it. That medication Xetia Caused me to have memory loss, and body aches that you wouldn't believe. After 3 doses, I stopped taking it and now seems to be back to normal, minus the symptums .

I have had similar reactions with other meds. Must be very careful about putting anything artificial into my body.

Is there anyone else who has unnatural reactions to medication?
Oh yeah the only thing I take is BP meds and I had no reaction to it. Which is unusual. That's why I use homeopathics. And I sure will try the soap. I have to get some as I don't use soap.l wonder if my natural soap will work I am waiting for a shipment from a friend.