Hi Everyone, I know I said I would come and check in now and then while I was painting. Here is what I have been up to some of the time lol.
Some time ago, I made an exchange. A cloth doll for an old beat up Owl from the 50 ties. HE is made out of chalk or some substance like it.
Even tho he was so pitiful, I loved him at first sight. He is huge! I decided he had potential. He had traveled all over the USA, New York was his last stay. He had been knocked around quite a bit. I fixed the very large hole under his wing, rebuilt his feathers on that same wing. Patched all his bruises and cracks and formed him some new ears.
I sealed him up with that Decoart Americana, Multi- Purpose Sealer and started to give him a new set of clothes and bright eyes.
And then there was this pitiful little yard dog with his bone that I got from the neighbor’s garage sale, had to have him too. I rebuilt his tail and patched his cracks. He will get the same treatment as the Owl but his bone will be polka dots
I did a coat of Multi-Surface Sealer (Decoart) on the Owl, he looks so shinny now and his eyes got all clear. I then mixed the Sealer and some dark Primer and did the dog. Doesn't he look so sad? He is a dirty grey and black now lol.
I finished Milford the Owl lol. I put all sorts of tints and glazes on him and then painted the front of him Yellow. I just played with lots of color. Yellows, oranges, Burnt Sienna, purple, reds, on his back and wings and lots of White for high lights on his breast feathers.
I covered his breast with a coat of Extender, wiped it down and ladled the Burnt Umber that I had mixed with extender on him. Wiped him down and wiped out the high lights. I decided to then add some black under the feathers, which I also did to the eyes to make them recede.
Wiped that down and then added white to high light. The last three pics are him all done. Compare him to what he looked like before. I let him cure for a day or two and then I varnished him.
For those who have some statuary lying around that fixing and painting. I used plummers putty for the fixing up and then I used the Decoart Traditions paint and Mediums. I couldn’t have gotten the effect I got with any other paint as these went on like oils and blended together without any lines etc. I had fun doing this