Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Someone Help me with this puppy!!!! >

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Here's some interesting videos on youtube:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130502-5.htm
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Congrats on the weight loss. Any words of encouragement? I just can't seem to get started. I lost over 100 pounds on WW before, but fell off the wagon. My husband was laid off and then became disabled, so I couldn't afford the meetings. Too bad too, as the group got me through the rough patches. Continued success.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Puppy obedience school plus socialization should help. Goldens are a great breed. I worked for an attorney once who had two and he brought both to work, on alternate days. In fact Max greeted me for the job interview. Great job and they are so loveable.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM

I got a little bitty book at my vet's office years ago called, "Super Puppy," if I remember right. The ideas in that book have worked on a lab and two brittanys.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Dkm

If you use the choke collar please be careful. While showing me how to use one the TRAINER choke my dog and cause throat damage as well as it popped his eyes(very strange). Vet said these should only be use as a very last resort.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Learned in dog training class: get a small spray bottle and put a small amount of vinegar in with mostly water (4:1 ) keep the spray at the door and when anyone comes........use your command word (down) and spray the dogs face if they jump up.......you HAVE to be consistant......it works wonders..
Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by eye2quilt
Learned in dog training class: get a small spray bottle and put a small amount of vinegar in with mostly water (4:1 ) keep the spray at the door and when anyone comes........use your command word (down) and spray the dogs face if they jump up.......you HAVE to be consistant......it works wonders..
Air spray in a can works the same way and not as cruel. Have you ever had vinegar inyour eye?? Diluted or not it hurts!!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 AM

When we got lab puppies were taught to press down on their shoulders every time they jumped, worked when we were consistent.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:43 AM

Carrie Jo,

I had the same problem with my Golden.

Dr. Dog (Dennis Fetco) used to have a radio talk show about training dogs a long time ago, and I got him to come out and do a one-on-one with me.

When your dog jumps up on you, take ahold of her paws and "dance" with her, sweet talking the entire time. When her back legs begin to tire, and she tries to sit down; push her off 'backward' while saying "off." She will gently roll over backwards.

After 3 weeks of unsuccessful (other) methods, this one stopped the behavior in 3, yes, 3 tries.

My dog was smart enough to try it once with me and once with my husband to see if she would get different results. The third time she tried it with my neighbor. As we all did the same 'dance,' she got the message and the problem was solved.

Good luck.