Spinal Stimulator

Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM

I was wondering if anyone has had a spinal stimulator put in. My insurance won't pay for surgery so my last alternative is to have the stimulator put in. I use an EMPI unit now so the tingling doesn't bother me. Just want to know how it has worked for others and if they have a cost estimate they would like to share.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

My Neighbor and I was just talking about this yesterday morning. She said that her MIL has one, she says it helps but the little remote control thing they use to work it is little uncomfortable...thats all I know about it, she was telling me about in because of my chronic back pain...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 AM

I was concerned that I would misplace the remote control you have to carry because I do not always keep good track of things like that. If you are thinking about one, you should test out the EMPI unit to see if you do not mind the tingling that would happen with the stimulator. They also implant a test run device to see if it will work.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 AM

My husband has one and loves it. He wouldn't be walking if it weren't for the device. The only draw back is that they don't last forever and the leads sometimes need to be replaced. I believe it depends on how bad your pain is as to whether it's worth it or not. Wishing you the best and hoping you find relief from your pain.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 AM

So how often does his have to be replaced? I know that my pain gets to where a hospital visit would be nice for drugs except I dont like hospitals. The pain meds are making the rest of my body not function properly so to avoid drugs, this was the option. Insurance refuses to pay for surgery that would help. Injury from car accidents and past surgeries. Do they have to open him up again to reset the leads?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM

I LIVE because I have a stim..... before I lived in a world of pain, drugs and side effects of those drugs... I LOVE mine ( this is # 2 for me.. (I hate #! and the Dr that put it in-- Loved Dr #2 and #2 stim !!)

I'd be happy to answer more questions or discuss further PM me. I'm about to leave the house right now..

I now have a smaller unit with a recharagable battery. ( I was told the standard life is 15-20 yrs.... YEA!!) I have 27 different programs I can adjust myself ( with my remote) and I can control the pain in any area or a variety of areas fromt he waist down!!

This model is the ANS version.. GREAT customer Service!!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM

I thought about one or a pump but because of allergies and prednisone they said I was not a candidate. Friends have them and love them!!! Good luck! keep us posted. Love to hear someone is out of pain! My back is so bad today can barely move!!
I cant believe how many of us suffer from pain!! what a family we are!! u might wonder if the quilting did it or like me the quilting keeps me sane since I cant work or do much else!!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Do u have to carry the remote? Dont u just put it in a drawer until you need it? didnt think it was a constant thing??
Old 05-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Quilting keeps me sane as long as I do not sit to long at once. it is in my thoracic so my arms and shoulders can induce the pain. Breathing sometimes is hard. I still work, but they make accomodations for me.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Right now I'm sticking to the injections since they seem to work somewhat! I may try that later on if the pain gets much worst...