Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Stressfree Holidays.....it's a choice >

Stressfree Holidays.....it's a choice

Stressfree Holidays.....it's a choice

Old 12-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

My boys and their families live in Indiana and Michigan. My youngest DS usually goes to my sister's house for Christmas. He won't get the DGDs until Friday. They will go to my sister's for a very short time Sunday. Oldest DS goes to his dad's. DH and I spend Christmas at home and I usually just send gift cards. Easier than shopping and wrapping and mailing. If they don't like what they got, that's their fault. DSs don't exchange gifts and they're ok with that. The only thing I ever ask for is phone calls. We got Skype this year so now I can see who I'm speaking with. Everything is going to be roasted for the meal this year so the house will be all nice and warm. Suppose to be a little chilly this year. Finally, found my missing Christmas tree of course after I bought one to replace it. I'll maybe put both up since they're small. LOL! One for each furbaby!! LOL!!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I start in January making gifts, purchasing things the granddaughters say they want as I see them on sale. Plus they get gift cards every year (this year being an exception as the oldest one -17- drives and loves to fill her car up so she can go places; she is getting cash!).

So by the time Christmas comes around I am full of gifts and there is no stress ( well except for the inlaws next door !LOL).
Old 12-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

The older we get the more valuable out time becomes to us. I would much rather have visitors than be one. I can at least sit and chat while hand piecing. It is funny how I can keep busy while friends are visiting me but not family, except for DM.

Don't ever apologize for living your life the way you want .
peace
Old 12-25-2014, 03:38 AM

I opted out of all the hoopla years ago. I don't shop for any thing but groceries in December and its all done by the 5th. If I run out of some thing I can live with out it. This year I am cooking a ham dinner for my Dad and me : ) and we'll spend the day watching all his favorite game shows. The only thing that would be more stress free is if I got to do nothing but read and sleep. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a very restful day after Christmas
Old 12-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Our children are grown and the little one get way more gifts than they need (our opinion) so we decided to ask what charity they would like us to donate toward in their names. The SPCA, Home of the Brave, Salvation Army, local fire dept, Clothing for Kids (another local charity) are some of this years recipients. Christmas completed, no hassle, no stress and it feels pretty good to know our gift is something needed.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 AM

Back when I was married to hubby 1, Christmas eve was at my parents house, Christmas morning our house (so son could open his Santa gifts) then pack up to go to in-laws house, pack up, leave there to go to another of his family. Did that for our whole 12 year marriage. Our son never ate dinner at our house. Married present husband. Child older, but went to my parents for Christmas eve, had breakfast at our house, packed up our entire Christmas packages to go to his sisters house. It was insisted that we not open our gifts at our house, but share our Christmas with them. We live almost an hour away! We would not get home until very late. I was exhausted. About 9 years ago, I decided I wanted Christmas at my house. I made the invitation to the family for dinner. You would have thought I committed the biggest sin! "What? You want US to DRIVE and hour to YOUR house?. But, OUT kids want Christmas in OUR house!" I was so angry. From that day forward, I have not been to their house for any holiday. That turned me away from Christmas. I don't even bother with a tree. Hubby and I exchange gifts all through the year, so December 25th is just another day. We do go to my son's house for brunch ( he lives about 20 minutes away). He will not go to anyone's house either because he said we never had any traditions except for the ones the others part of the family had. This year was especially hard, since my Daddy died in in November, so Christmas Eve was hard. We gathered (all 6 of us, since several decided to work, firemen in the family), had a quiet dinner and exchanged small gifts. In 2014, we lost our middle son, my Father, my husbands brother, and a very close friend. Christmas was just not that important to us. Maybe 2015 will bring back the spirit and sparkle of the holidays again.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I agree...The world needs to get back to the real reason for the season..Not the gifts they might get...
Old 12-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post

Don't ever apologize for living your life the way you want .
peace

I think this is my favorite thing I have read. I would only add if others have a problem with you not going along with their agenda it is a negative reflection on them not you.