Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Talked to dd last night.... >

Talked to dd last night....

Talked to dd last night....

Old 06-10-2010, 05:38 AM

I encouraged her last night.....told her we didn't have wimpy girls here and I KNEW she could tough it out! I told her that one day she would look back at this summer and laugh....whether it was because she had so much fun or was so homesick the whole time. I really do think it will be a learning experience for her. it is funny though...we don't live close to any family and my family is wrote the book on dysfunctional so we are not close to them. I guess somewhere along the line we figured out how to do this and be close. Oldest dd is planning on marrying in a few years and they will definitely be staying close....between both sets of parents she says. DD#2 thought for awhile she was in love with a boy from Pa but said he would have to move here or we all would have to move there!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Pam

Ginnie, sounds like she just neede a shoulder to cry on. Mom's are good for that, to be sure. She is going to tough this out because she wants to spend the summer with the horses, if nothing else. This was just a tiny pothole on the highway of life. Wait, wrong metaphor.....A road apple on the trail. That is better. A thrown shoe in the stampede of life? Wait, one more. A burr under her saddle. Anyway tell her to stop letting him poop in her Cheerios!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 AM

What a good time for her to learn there are jerks in this world.....and usually, one in every workplace. By working with her until she was okay was a good thing. If you'd let her run home, she'd have been running home every time things got tough. We joke and call situations like that (after the hurt is over) that it was "character building"......and we admit we're not sure if we want to be that kind of character!!!! LOL....

What a great opportunity for her to work at the horse ranch!!!!! Have fun with the quilt.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03 AM

Just be encouraging and rather than sympathize and console (which is our natural instinct) tell her that she can get through this, that she comes from some pretty tough stock. Do what you can to bolster her courage and she'll be the better for it. If that doesn't work, you can also kick the ____ out of the guy at the end of the summer. She will be fine and better off for the experience. I sent my DD to church camp last year for the first time (age 10 then) and I think I had a rougher time. She was only homesick for a day, I went through torture for all 5 days. I wasn't even off the camp grounds when I was ready to turn around and go get her. It's hard to let them grow up but we have to eventually.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam
I agree! Tell her to get out there and get the job done. While it is tough to hear them cry, she is the one with the growing pains.

This experience is teaching her to become an independant young adult and is GOOD for her. I was in the USMC, and while this guy might be tough, I guarantee any one of my DIs could take him with one petite hand tied behind their backs. She will become the same way, intelligent strong and independent.
Pam, that is one great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

It's so hard to hear our kids cry because someone hurt them, but she is tough and will stronger because of this summer.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Google Goddess

how is your daughter getting along now, I hope she is having a great time now and enjoying camp
Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlehud
It's so hard to hear our kids cry because someone hurt them, but she is tough and will stronger because of this summer.
I totally agree, very hard, but you're right....... it will make her stronger :)
Old 06-12-2010, 04:27 AM

She was going to go home with one of the other girls this weekend so I hope it is going well. I am going to try and text her today and see.