Tinsel on Tree

Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 AM

When I was young and soon after my parents divorced. Our first holiday consisted of spending Christmas eve at our Mom's house with tinsel covered tree. And at home with Dad and a silver tree with the moving tri colored light thing spinning colors up on the tree.
The trees my husband and I put up every year contain no tinsel or garland.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

If I had a tree, I would. but now have three cats so would have to think it over. my last kitty never bothered the tree but these are much more into things. trees look wonderful with tinsel. now angel hair, maybe not!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
I have the old metal tinsel that I have been reusing for years. I use my grandmothers ornaments that are vintage mercury glass with the cuts outs so the tinsel makes my tree look old fashioned. DH and I were talking today about trying to find new tinsel so I was disappointed to hear I won't find any.
Oh man! Memories! My mom was also OCD about hanging one strand of tinsel at a time on each branch. For the last 40 years in my rebellion I have always stood back and threw hands full of tinsel at the tree
Old 12-04-2016, 10:10 AM

I do still use the tinsel garland AND the individual tinsel. Looks like icicles hanging on the tree; I'm in the same age group as you. It does take time but my tree is beautiful. Like you, I've not put a tree up in probably 20 years; since I was never home for Christmas; I went to my parents but this year will be my first one of my own I've put up in about 20 years. Decorate it as you used to and enjoy! I Love my tree. And Merry Christmas.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

My grandmother who raised me bought a new box of the tin tinsel every few years. I can still remember her showing me how to put it on the tree. Take a handful and let it fall a few at a time all over the tree. No one strand at a time for her. She and I would go to the pine tree field behind the house and she would saw the top out of a pine for our tree.

I don't use tinsel. The grands decorate the tree now. I keep them two days a week so I let them do what they want with the tree. I don't move any of the ornaments they place. They hang each ornament with care until they get tired. Age 3 and 4. LOL. DH finishes the top part. Anyone with OCD wouldn't last long in my home when it comes to decorating the tree.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 AM

I have cats and dogs and found a substitute for tinsel. I buy strings of 'Mardi Gras' type beads (the ones that are molded on a string) and cut them in three pieces to use instead of tinsel. Below is a picture of this years tree that my room mate decorated this year. She only used the tinsel/beads and plastic candy canes this year which is what she chose. Feel free to take my idea. Most of my friends have, since they also do not clog up the vacuum either.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-04-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 AM

I used to always use it until I found out how kitty's and dogs can be harmed by it. I haven't used it now for years but I think it is beautiful.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM

My family decorated my tree for me over the Thanksgiving weekend. I had bought two of the new tree dazzler lights and boy were they a hit. Everyone loved them and the kids had a ball playing with them all weekend to see what all they will do. Love not having to string and unstring lights and having a new show every day.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:14 PM

We have always used tinsel, I have always had animals including cats and never had a problem. for me, its the finishing touch on a tree
Old 12-04-2016, 12:15 PM

I use gold and white garland. Almost 40 years ago we had to go to an artificial tree because of one daughter's allergies. Out of habit, we put tinsel on it. What a mistake! It took hours to untangle each strand from the branches which made switching to just garland a no-brainer.