Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A Tip for shopping with your toddlers >

A Tip for shopping with your toddlers

A Tip for shopping with your toddlers

Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

While at Walmart today I saw a lady come in with 3 little ones. She put the infant carrier in the part where a child can sit and she took the seatbelt of a second cart and used it to hook it to the front of the first cart. Then she put the two toddlers in the large part of the second cart. I asked her if that was heavy to push and she responded not really you just have to watch that the little ones don't get their fingers pinched between the handle of the second one and the front of the first one. She grabbed the front of the second cart and away she went pulling them behind her! LOL

I have not shopped with Zach because he takes up the whole cart but maybe now I can. We have had Glen hold the cart while I push him in the wheelchair! LOL

I had Joey and Jake with me one time when they were probably about 7 or 8 and they sat in the cart with their backs to the child seat and scrunched up their knees and I put groceries around them! LOL They were inventing this fantasy about they were in a space ship flying into outer space the whole time we shopped. People were smiling and outright laughing when they listened to them adding to each other's story. LOL They really brightened people's day that day!

I used to sing under my breath or somewhat quietly when I had Zach when he was little. He would sing with me or he would listen and we avoided alot of meltdowns this way in the grocery store.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM

I guess we all learn our little tricks. I was very lucky because I never had problems with them in stores. My rule was: look with your eyes, not with your hands & if you can't do that then your hands had to be in your pockets!

My favorite story about my DD, who just graduated H.S. When she was about 4 we were in the checkout line at Walmart. There was a little girl ahead of us throwing a temper tantrum because her Mom wouldn't buy her candy. She was screaming & kicking & hitting her Mom. My DD whispered to me, "Did we ever act like that?" I asked her what would have happened if she had and she said, "You would have put everything down and taken me out to the car & paddled my butt." (I know, I am an abusive mother in some eyes). But I said, "You knew what would happen, so you didn't act like that." She replied, "Thanks, Mom. I'm so glad!"
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Pam

When my son was a little guy and an only child, I carried Scotch tape in my purse. When we went into a store I would loosly wrap about 6" of tape around the index and middle fingers of his right hand. He would use his left hand to remove it. It kept him busy in the store and helped him learn to use his left hand.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

LOL From the time my kids and grandkids learn to walk they are told no touching no running and no asking for anything. Then when I tell them they may choose something within reason they know what I mean and I haven't ever had a problem with mine in the store. When my kids were little my DH always went along and stayed in the car. If the kids misbehaved they had to go sit in the car with dad - not a place they wanted to be when they were in trouble! LOL

Also I was a foreign language major in college and I talked to my kids in Spanish when I didn't want to be overheard. There were few people then who understood me. I could correct them without sounding like I was. They knew not to act up in public. It just wasn't allowed. No question about it! They learned to be polite and respectful and that lesson has helped them in life.

I also don't let the grands act up either. I can find a good spot for a timeout if need be as Zach can attest to!! He has had to sit many times. One time I was shopping for fabric and I had Devon (then 5) and Rachel(6 at the time) and they got too carried away with their game and kept stepping in front of people. So I had them sit by my feet on the carpet as I looked at fabric. Worked just fine. They continued their conversation and passed the time without bothering any other shoppers.

I just hate to see people let their kids run wild in a store!!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

I agree. My kids stayed by me in the store or we went home. They knew I would do it because I did a time or two. No temper tantrums either. My DGD knows the same. And I don't allow her to run my house. I'm in charge and she knows it. She also knows I love her very much. She and mom live with me. I have a time out chair and know how to use it. Children that are allowed to run free without guidance run into problem later. Mine have learned respect. So had DGD. My rule was discipline and lots of love. They turned out great.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 PM

When I was little we would either go to the mall or costco. If it was the mall we could have a Cheese on a Stick from Hot Dog on a Stick as we shopped and if we were good, at the end of the trip we would go get a peppermint chocolate cookie from the department store bakery. At Costco, we would get churros and Diet Coke. Yep...my mom strongly believed in bribery. and it worked. Just like when we'd get a cup of m&m's and a cup of diet coke when she'd do our hair every morning before school :)

Will I do this with my children? DUH! Abso-freakin-lutely! haha
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
I guess we all learn our little tricks. I was very lucky because I never had problems with them in stores. My rule was: look with your eyes, not with your hands & if you can't do that then your hands had to be in your pockets!

My favorite story about my DD, who just graduated H.S. When she was about 4 we were in the checkout line at Walmart. There was a little girl ahead of us throwing a temper tantrum because her Mom wouldn't buy her candy. She was screaming & kicking & hitting her Mom. My DD whispered to me, "Did we ever act like that?" I asked her what would have happened if she had and she said, "You would have put everything down and taken me out to the car & paddled my butt." (I know, I am an abusive mother in some eyes). But I said, "You knew what would happen, so you didn't act like that." She replied, "Thanks, Mom. I'm so glad!"
When my kids were high school age, there was a family at church that had 2 very unruly boys. One of the boys was crawling around under the pews during a service one time and my son leaned over to me and said "just how long do you think we would have gotten away with that?" He and I just looked at each other and smiled because we knew that it NEVER would have been tolerated!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
When my son was a little guy and an only child, I carried Scotch tape in my purse. When we went into a store I would loosly wrap about 6" of tape around the index and middle fingers of his right hand. He would use his left hand to remove it. It kept him busy in the store and helped him learn to use his left hand.
Love this idea!