Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tranplants (hubby got a new kidney & pancreas) >

Tranplants (hubby got a new kidney & pancreas)

Tranplants (hubby got a new kidney & pancreas)

Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Google Goddess

Hi,

I was wondering if there was anyone else here that has had any types of transplants, family or friends.

My hubby had been a severe diabetic since 3rd grade and in 1989 both kidneys shut down and was on home dialysis and still worked a full time job.

On September 18, 1990 he got a new kidney and pancreas transplant and no longer a diabetic! He takes rejection meds for the rest of his life.

He is now 54 years old and doing great.

Karen
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM

No I don't know any transplant people but am so happy that your DH is doing so well! I wish him continued success!!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Google Goddess

Thanks Janstar!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Not a transplant recipient. I am however so happy to hear the good news. What a blessing that must be for all of you! I will wish continued good health for him. He has to be so relieved to not need all the meds any longer. You had to be strong to supporting him through those challenges. Thats what family is all about.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 AM

I am so happy for you and your husband diabetes is a terrible disease.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 AM

What a wonderful thing to hear!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

So glad to hear he is doing so well!! My son has been a bad diabetic since the age of 19, and takes shots twice a day now. It is a terrible disease.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM

In 1987 My husband took a physical for a job and discovered he had a kidney disease that had a 20% chance of ending with a transplant. For years he didn't think much about it. It doesn't pay to worry with an autoimmune disease since there is nothing you can do. In Feb 1998 he got sick enough to need the transplant. His father offered a kidney and the imaging showed a cyst next to his right kidney. They decided to go for the right side. Jorge was under anesthesia with a central line on. I went home with the kids when I got a call from Jorge. I was very surprised. I went back to the hospital. He didn't get the kidney because the cyst turned out to be a cancer tumor, associated with heavy smokers. H eis a heavy smoker, but his lungs were clear, so they assumed he was fine. The center said they would go now with his mother, who didn't even offer a kidney to her own son. I told them I don't want to chance what they could find in his mother, living with this heavy smoker most of her life, so I told them we would go to another center and don't tell them he had a mother. I worked at the hospital where this happened and the DR doing the surgery was a friend of mine. I started having all the testing done to give him my kidney. I April 1998 we were back there, on Tax day, having our surgeries done. His father was on my side all the time, his mother didn't even go to the hospital until 3 days later. My mother came fromPuerto Rico to care for the kids. It has been almost 12 years and he is well. The midication he takes has made him a diabetic, but very mild and with insulin, excercise and diet, that is under control as well.

I spoke at a transplant group as a motivationar for donors and got to meet a young man who had a kidney and pancreas. To me that is marvelous. I am glad your husband is doing well.

Maria
Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 AM

Needed to add that the hopspital sent my FIL a bill for $140,000 for the surgery. It was their mistake . They failed to follow up on the shadow or cyst next to the kidney. They have a grant taht pays for the donor's surgery, but since there was no transplant, they didn't pay. I appreciate the fact that they saved their life, but they could have sent his to hi VA hospital to have it taken care of. His insurance wouldn't pay anywhere else. I cad to mention I would call a lawyer for them to erase the charges. I don't know anybody that can pay $140K out of pocket.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm sooo glad to hear your DH is doing well with his transplants. I have signed my card...have you all?