Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Two Hours And Seven Juice Cans >

Two Hours And Seven Juice Cans

Two Hours And Seven Juice Cans

Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM

Boy does this bring back memories. My Grandma used to make these stools for us when we were young..(very long time ago about 1955). She also used the smaller cans that vegetables came in. So, we had two different sizes. She covered the cans with old nylon stockings and then with fabric, sewed them together and used some type of padding for the tops before she covered it with fabric. They were very sturdy!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Wow! I remember making one of those in vocational Bible school about 40+ years ago. Mine didn't look quite as elegant.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 PM

I've heard of this before, but I have to say yours is gorgeous, good for you!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM

I love it! You are very creative and talented. I also love the earthy colors you chose. It would look perfect in my living room!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Awesome work!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:44 PM

I saw this in a book so I went off of those instructions.

1) Gorilla Glue 7 cans together, drained and dried, of course. Let dry overnight.
2) Sew 6 (8.5" x 9") rectangles along the 9" side to make a long panel. Then, sew the ends together to make a circle. Then, press under 1/4" on one edge.
3) Trace around base of cans to make a cardboard template. Use this template to cut out a piece of high loft batting for top. Then, place over two 18" squares of fabric for the top and base but cut 2" away from edge of template.
4) Using, spray adhesive, adhere a 10" x 48" piece of low loft batting to the cans. Trim. Then, adhere the high loft batting to the top.
5) Using spray adhesive on the top, adhere the flower shaped fabric to the top, clipping the curves as you go, and then using fabric glue, adhere the edges down over the sides of the cans.
6) Spray the side batting with adhesive, then slide the fabric circle over the cans, lining the top edges up, and press into place. Using fabric glue, adhere the pressed under, top edge to the top of the cans. Pin in place.
7) Gently tip cans over and clipping the bottom edge of the side fabric, press under and adhere to the bottom of the foot stool with spray adhesive. Spray cardboard template with adhesive and adhere the second, flower shaped piece of fabric, clipping edges and turn under the edges, using more adhesive. adhere the base to the bottom of the cans and flip back over.
8) Using the fabric glue, adhere two layers of fringe to the top edge. Pin in place to help hold it there as it dries.

It doesn't call for it but I will be doing a little bit of hand stitching along the base and top edge, to ensure it all stays in place. I have kids and pets so I want to make sure it definitely stays in place.

Step 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159121[/ATTACH]

Step 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159122[/ATTACH]

Step 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159123[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159116.jpe   attachment-159117.jpe   attachment-159118.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM

1) Gorilla Glue 7 cans together, drained and dried, of course. Let dry overnight.
2) Sew 6 (8.5" x 9") rectangles along the 9" side to make a long panel. Then, sew the ends together to make a circle. Then, press under 1/4" on one edge.
3) Trace around base of cans to make a cardboard template. Use this template to cut out a piece of high loft batting for top. Then, place over two 18" squares of fabric for the top and base but cut 2" away from edge of template.
4) Using, spray adhesive, adhere a 10" x 48" piece of low loft batting to the cans. Trim. Then, adhere the high loft batting to the top.
5) Using spray adhesive on the top, adhere the flower shaped fabric to the top, clipping the curves as you go, and then using fabric glue, adhere the edges down over the sides of the cans.
6) Spray the side batting with adhesive, then slide the fabric circle over the cans, lining the top edges up, and press into place. Using fabric glue, adhere the pressed under, top edge to the top of the cans. Pin in place.
7) Gently tip cans over and clipping the bottom edge of the side fabric, press under and adhere to the bottom of the foot stool with spray adhesive. Spray cardboard template with adhesive and adhere the second, flower shaped piece of fabric, clipping edges and turn under the edges, using more adhesive. adhere the base to the bottom of the cans and flip back over.
8) Using the fabric glue, adhere two layers of fringe to the top edge. Pin in place to help hold it there as it dries.

It doesn't call for it but I will be doing a little bit of hand stitching along the base and top edge, to ensure it all stays in place. I have kids and pets so I want to make sure it definitely stays in place.

Step 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159128[/ATTACH]

Step 5
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159129[/ATTACH]

Steps 6,7,8
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159130[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159123.jpe   attachment-159124.jpe   attachment-159125.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM

This is so innovative. Just saw you posted the tutorial. Thanks for showing us.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM

My hubby's Grandmother made some of these 20 some years ago...not as fancy as this though.... interesting too see them making the rounds again.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Holy cow! That's fantastic. What a creative mind you have.