Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Hours And Seven Juice Cans

I saw this in a book so I went off of those instructions.

1) Gorilla Glue 7 cans together, drained and dried, of course. Let dry overnight.
    2) Sew 6 (8.5" x 9") rectangles along the 9" side to make a long panel. Then, sew the ends together to make a circle. Then, press under 1/4" on one edge.
    3) Trace around base of cans to make a cardboard template. Use this template to cut out a piece of high loft batting for top. Then, place over two 18" squares of fabric for the top and base but cut 2" away from edge of template.
    4) Using, spray adhesive, adhere a 10" x 48" piece of low loft batting to the cans. Trim. Then, adhere the high loft batting to the top.
    5) Using spray adhesive on the top, adhere the flower shaped fabric to the top, clipping the curves as you go, and then using fabric glue, adhere the edges down over the sides of the cans.
    6) Spray the side batting with adhesive, then slide the fabric circle over the cans, lining the top edges up, and press into place. Using fabric glue, adhere the pressed under, top edge to the top of the cans. Pin in place.
    7) Gently tip cans over and clipping the bottom edge of the side fabric, press under and adhere to the bottom of the foot stool with spray adhesive. Spray cardboard template with adhesive and adhere the second, flower shaped piece of fabric, clipping edges and turn under the edges, using more adhesive. adhere the base to the bottom of the cans and flip back over.
    8) Using the fabric glue, adhere two layers of fringe to the top edge. Pin in place to help hold it there as it dries.

It doesn't call for it but I will be doing a little bit of hand stitching along the base and top edge, to ensure it all stays in place. I have kids and pets so I want to make sure it definitely stays in place.

Step 1
    Name:  Attachment-159116.jpe
Views: 579
Size:  36.5 KB

Step 2
    Name:  Attachment-159117.jpe
Views: 565
Size:  28.8 KB

Step 3
    Name:  Attachment-159118.jpe
Views: 565
Size:  43.3 KB

1) Gorilla Glue 7 cans together, drained and dried, of course. Let dry overnight.
    2) Sew 6 (8.5" x 9") rectangles along the 9" side to make a long panel. Then, sew the ends together to make a circle. Then, press under 1/4" on one edge.
    3) Trace around base of cans to make a cardboard template. Use this template to cut out a piece of high loft batting for top. Then, place over two 18" squares of fabric for the top and base but cut 2" away from edge of template.
    4) Using, spray adhesive, adhere a 10" x 48" piece of low loft batting to the cans. Trim. Then, adhere the high loft batting to the top.
    5) Using spray adhesive on the top, adhere the flower shaped fabric to the top, clipping the curves as you go, and then using fabric glue, adhere the edges down over the sides of the cans.
    6) Spray the side batting with adhesive, then slide the fabric circle over the cans, lining the top edges up, and press into place. Using fabric glue, adhere the pressed under, top edge to the top of the cans. Pin in place.
    7) Gently tip cans over and clipping the bottom edge of the side fabric, press under and adhere to the bottom of the foot stool with spray adhesive. Spray cardboard template with adhesive and adhere the second, flower shaped piece of fabric, clipping edges and turn under the edges, using more adhesive. adhere the base to the bottom of the cans and flip back over.
    8) Using the fabric glue, adhere two layers of fringe to the top edge. Pin in place to help hold it there as it dries.

It doesn't call for it but I will be doing a little bit of hand stitching along the base and top edge, to ensure it all stays in place. I have kids and pets so I want to make sure it definitely stays in place.

Step 4
    Name:  Attachment-159123.jpe
Views: 561
Size:  22.4 KB

Step 5
    Name:  Attachment-159124.jpe
Views: 561
Size:  32.1 KB

Steps 6,7,8
    Name:  Attachment-159125.jpe
Views: 596
Size:  45.8 KB

This is so innovative. Just saw you posted the tutorial. Thanks for showing us.

My hubby's Grandmother made some of these 20 some years ago...not as fancy as this though.... interesting too see them making the rounds again.

Holy cow! That's fantastic. What a creative mind you have.

Tomorrow, when the fabric glue is dried, I'll remove the pins and Scotch Guard them. I'd heard of these before but never knew what to do with them until I had seen this tut in a book of crafts to reuse/renew/recycle. Two hours well spent with my youngest DD. :-D

Very nice, a friend of mine made these in the 70s, time for them to come around again.

My grandma had one too, and I copied hers about 45 yrs ago. I still have that stool, but it's a little shabby looking now. That would make a great project for my grands!

My grandmother had a foot stool she made like this, thanks for the memories.

Blog Entries
    I guess I am showing my age but I remember those also! My best friend's mom made them years and years ago. Can't believe they are coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by dellareya
    It looks great. This is a blast from the past. These were very popular Years and years ago.
    I too remember these from years ago when I first got married. (celebrated our 44th in Sept.)

Very cool.

Blog Entries
    My husband's grandmother used to give those for Christmas presents. I have 3 of them wearing out and have had it on my to do list to redo them. They are great and attractive step stools to give me that extra for my kitchen cupboards. Love the extra trim.. Thanks for giving me the boost to redo mine.

That's relly cute. I love to recycle, too.

My grandparents had a juice can footstool that they'd made, I'll guess, in the 1930's sometime. It was a popular craft back then. As I recall it looked just like yours. Very clever!

WOW! That turned out great!

very cute!

Blog Entries
    I bet that was fun to do! good job

wow, now that is clever

I remember these from years ago, but they didn't look as good as yours!! Great job!! :thumbup: :-D

I bought a stool like this about 20 years ago at a craft sale when I had little ones. Mine was not as fancy (no trim decor) but the little kids loved this stool, and it is a great recycle project. Ours had the heavier canvas type fabric in bright color. Thanks it was nice to have a reminder of this one.

Blog Entries
    How did you hold the juice cans together?
    I remember my Mom making these footstools.
    Mariah.

My Mom used to make these! I still remember one covered in turquoise vinyl that I claimed as my own. Wish I knew what happened to all of them. I may have to make some just for nostalgic purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    That is extremely cool! Is it too low though for a foot rest? I should make one of those spackling bucket ones... I'm sure I can find a tutorial or two for those :)

I love the colors you used too... :)
    It's just the right size for kids to tote around so they can reach the sink.

Blog Entries
    Clever!! Cute too :D:D:D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast