Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Up to my ears in fruit flies HELP!! >

Up to my ears in fruit flies HELP!!

Up to my ears in fruit flies HELP!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM

I use the vinegar and soap combo successfully. You need to leave it out for several days in order to get all the young ones as well. Clean your trash cans (found a breeding ground under the lip of the can once). Place vinegar mixture near drains.

For prevention, we keep bananas in a banana bag, made by me natch, out in the garage's pantry. Banana peels are thrown out in the garage's trash can. We never get flies from anything other than bananas.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 PM

I had an infestation a couple of weeks ago and tried the penny in a cup of water don't know why but it semed to work. They are gone!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Try a vacuum cleaner. When I have the twice yearly hatch of flies that get into my house and bump around in the windows, I use a dust buster to suck them up. I have no idea, no idea for over 40 years, how the heck they get in and only twice a year, spring and fall. But suck the buggers up.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM

I've had a problem with them too. I didn't realize that some apples in a basket had gotten soft on the bottom but I got a cloud of fruit flies when I did discover it. I got all that I could but for weeks now they have been bugging the heck out of me!! I have cleaned everything in the kitchen, vaccumed the family room where there is the possibility of crumbs, etc. I can't figure out why they are still around or where they are coming from!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:36 AM

I have parrots. The fruits, mostly bananas, we feed them draw them in. At least one a year we get hit with tons of the little buggers. I take a dessert dish, add about 1/4 cup water, 10 drops of dish soap & about 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar. I let it set on the kitchen counter. In a day or so all are floating in the mix & then I dump it down the drain. Bananas often come with fruit fly eggs in the skin. They're too tiny to see when you buy them. They hatch out in a few days in yuor warm home. Apples will also draw them too, so we keep them in the frig. The only fruit I let out is bananas & I only buy enough for a few days.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
White wine works too. Plastic wrap over the top with several small holes. If you've got lots maybe set out a few bowls or glasses of assorted bait.
Love the boiling water in the drain suggestion. I'll be trying that.
Good luck!
White wine!!!! :shock: I'd much rather drink it!!! :lol: :lol:

It certainly sounds like an intersting idea! :wink:
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I've had a problem with them too. I didn't realize that some apples in a basket had gotten soft on the bottom but I got a cloud of fruit flies when I did discover it. I got all that I could but for weeks now they have been bugging the heck out of me!! I have cleaned everything in the kitchen, vaccumed the family room where there is the possibility of crumbs, etc. I can't figure out why they are still around or where they are coming from!
They might be breeding in your sink drain expecially if you have a garbage disposal. It is moist and contains nutrients. What more can a bug ask?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:25 AM

Craftybear gave us a link to a purse organizer and in browsing thru the link I found this "recipe" for making a homemade fruit fly catcher...in case you're interested.

http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2008...lies-help.html

There is also great information (much of which has been mentioned by othe posters) in this link to Wikipedia. Surprised me to read that they also breed in dirty, damp washclothes left in the sink..who knew???!!!!???

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies
Old 11-20-2010, 06:22 AM

I had a friend that was complaining about this last week. His mom told him to put pickle juice in a little container on the counter, by the sink and to pour bleach down the drain. She said they like to hide in the drains.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 AM

I was having that problem a couple of weeks ago. I took a pint jar added some cider vinegar and a slug of apple juice. Within a week they were dead in the bottom of the jar.
I sat it on the kitchen counter near the fruit bowl. I was amazed at the number I caught this way! :thumbup: :-D