using a dress form

Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
I bought one and found out unless everything is still where it is suppose to be and hasn't slid its pretty useless. It doesn't get big enough. And isn't shaped like me, things have headed south and because of surgery my waist is actually bigger than my hips. However what I am going to do is make a duct tape body double and use the dressform to hang it. There are many videos on youtube that show you how. One day I want to make patterns just for me to my measurements. Just haven't spent the time to do it. So complicated

As far as clothing styles go I can't stand what they have in the stores for older women..It seems they send someone out to find the ugliest and worst feeling fabric possible..And I am NOT my grandmother I don't want to wear the same style she did when she was 60 . I can't afford to pay a fortune for clothes so Target and Walmart were pretty much my go to places.. I am now doing some of my own dresses ( cooler in the summer and I don't have to match lol ) Right now I have the start of one on the form. A mans plaid shirt , a small dot skirt , larger dot fabric (black and white) and hot pink trim .. I wonder how it will turn out. ..
You should call What's Your Stitch n Stuff in Va Beach off of Indian River Rd and ask if Joan is there. She's great about showing you how to make a pattern fit but first putting it onto a stablizier type material. I know she used to be there on Wednesday. You can check their website to see if she has any upcoming classes but if she gets a couple of people she'll normally do a class anyways. She really is great as a quilter and seamtress and a person. I have always learned a lot from all of her classes.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM

I just think they look cool!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM

I looked at the quilt/sew expo and saw the one for Chantilly but the Stitch n Stuff is not 10 minutes from me. I have been meaning to go in there and look at the classes etc. It just seems like I either have the time or the money but never both together. lol
Old 07-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Pants or slacks are the most difficult to fit, especially if you don't have someone to help you. I speak from many years of experience. I love the idea of having a professional make a muslin slopes that you can use and change to different styles as you choose. Sorry I didn't do something like this years ago.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM

I guess I am different than everyone here.... I love my dress form and use it often. I bought a cheapie one during a half price sale at the local fabric store. I paid $99 for it. The key to having a good fitting dress form is to buy one that is smaller than you are. Set it to your height and then start padding it with batting until it measures the same as you. Put an old bra on it and stuff stuff stuff! Once you get it close, dress the form in an old spandex type slip or a too tight t-shrit to cover up all that batting, then add more batting if needed. You could always sew a sloper to use as a cover, but to me an old slip works fine. I think it took me about 2 full days of standing in front of a mirror in my bra and panties with a tape measure and my dress form until I got all the bits and pieces shaped like me. I would only recommend a dress form for someone who sews garments quite a bit and has the body type that needs lots of adjustments in patterns to make them fit right. If you only use it once or twice then it would be a waste of time and money. By the way, they do make dress forms with the stand off centered so that you can fit pants too, mine isnt one of these though.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Dee

I had the old mesh metal one and very seldom used it. If you have a pair of pants that fit you, use that as a pattern. I made one out of brown wrapping paper and use it for pants, capri's and shorts. Hope this helps.