View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
GrandmaNewt

I guess I am different than everyone here.... I love my dress form and use it often. I bought a cheapie one during a half price sale at the local fabric store. I paid $99 for it. The key to having a good fitting dress form is to buy one that is smaller than you are. Set it to your height and then start padding it with batting until it measures the same as you. Put an old bra on it and stuff stuff stuff! Once you get it close, dress the form in an old spandex type slip or a too tight t-shrit to cover up all that batting, then add more batting if needed. You could always sew a sloper to use as a cover, but to me an old slip works fine. I think it took me about 2 full days of standing in front of a mirror in my bra and panties with a tape measure and my dress form until I got all the bits and pieces shaped like me. I would only recommend a dress form for someone who sews garments quite a bit and has the body type that needs lots of adjustments in patterns to make them fit right. If you only use it once or twice then it would be a waste of time and money. By the way, they do make dress forms with the stand off centered so that you can fit pants too, mine isnt one of these though.