Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Cleaners????

Vacuum Cleaners????

Any one have a favorite vacuum cleaner for a sewing room? I have an Oreck and I hate it. The threads just wrap around the bar and clog it. I want to get a new one but have no idea what would work in a room full of fabrics, threads, etc! Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Linda

Any vacuum with a rotating brush will give you the same problem. I vacuum threads with my small canister vac that has a hose, no brush.

Blog Entries
    this is one of the reasons I have a seam ripper; to take the threads from my vacuum cleaner bar. it's going to happen to them all like that. I would love to have an Oreck again; it was the best machine that I had ever had.
    Judy

My sear's canister has a wand attachment on-board that is easily accessed that works for those strings. I love this little guy, it has all the bells and whistles. But, my favorite is the retractable cord. LOL.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

So maybe a cannister might be the answer. My oreck has the bag which does nor hold much.
    Linda

i have a miele canister. i think that is the answer. i have hardwood floors.

The only way to stop the threads tangling on the brush is to stretch a stocking over the head when you vacuum. It is a good way to stop the pins from going into the vac. as well. Just make sure you secure the stocking tightly enough until all the loose things are out of the way and then you can give the room another go after the bits are off the floor.
    I like the Dyson.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Any one have a favorite vacuum cleaner for a sewing room? I have an Oreck and I hate it. The threads just wrap around the bar and clog it. I want to get a new one but have no idea what would work in a room full of fabrics, threads, etc! Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    I have the regular Oreck vacuum and yes, threads wrap around - that's normal for all uprights. I just take my seam ripper and pull the threads, no big deal. I also have the little Oreck for picking up the puzels on the floor. Works like a charm and then I can go out and clean out the car - it does have that much power. Love it!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I use a toilet brush (bought new at the dollar store) to clean around my sewing area. It picks up threads and tiny scraps very well. (And it can be done sitting in my sewing chair!) lol

Do you use a thread catcher beside your machine? I have 2 tables at right angles to each other. One is for cutting - I tape a small paper bag to the side, as I cut, I sweep small scraps into it. I have a thread catcher by my machine to put all cut threads and little corner snippets into. Nothing to vacuum any worse than any other room.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast